Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

World War II Army Enlistment Records Available Online

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: World War II Army Enlistment Records Available Online Reply with quote

from a previous AAD 'whats new'......
National Archives Makes World War II Enlistment Records Available Online

College Park, MD... World War II enlistment records for over nine million Army soldiers are now available online, the National Archives and Archives and Records Administration (NARA) announced today. The records are in the World War II Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File available through the Access to Archival Database (AAD) section on NARA's web site (www.archives.gov/aad). AAD is the first publicly accessible application developed under the auspices of NARA's Electronic Records Archives (ERA) Program.

The National Archives scanned War Department microfilmed punch cards on enlistments to support the reconstruction of the military personnel records at its National Personnel Records Center. Because of the age of the microfilm, approximately 1.5 million records could not be scanned. Scanning problems also created some errors in the digital records that present unique searching challenges. To help minimize these problems, NARA staff developed a set of Frequently Asked Questions especially for the Army Serial Number File. Despite these challenges, information about a majority of sixteen million World War II Army servicemen and women is available via the web site. Each record may have the enlistee's serial number and name, state and county of residence, place of enlistment, date of enlistment, grade, branch, term of enlistment, place of birth, year of birth, race, education, civilian occupation, marital status, and component. Because the records are for Army enlistments during World War II, the file does not include records for Army officers, members of other services or enlistments for other time periods. However, it does contain information on more than 130,000 women who enlisted in the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps.

This is the latest of the "born digital" data records related to World War II that the National Archives preserves in a contemporary digital format and makes available through its Access to Archival Databases online resource. The Japanese-American Internee File, 1942 - 1946, has records with personal descriptive data about nearly 110,000 Japanese-Americans whom the War Relocation Authority placed in relocation centers. Another file is the World War II Prisoners of War File, ca. 1942 - ca. 1947, that identifies 143,000 U.S. military officers and soldiers and American and Allied civilians who were prisoners of war and internees. Finally, the Records of Duty Locations for Naval Intelligence Personnel, 1942 - 1945, contain limited data about the military intelligence personnel attached to Naval Group China during World War II.
<end of article>

Trey's note
I tried the search using a last name only, I don't know if it 'wild card' searches for portions of names, the information is cryptic, but its more than we had online before. I believe it only contains people who enlisted between the years listed 1938 and 1946, I'm assuming draftees are included, but I don't know for sure. I was unable to find my Grandfather, Tony Sazera who enlisted before Pearl Harbor. I did find his brother(s) and cousin. I don't know how complete it is. It looks like they may eventually add more from reading the link at the top of this message. If anyone remembers the article on "Mr. Kimura's Carbine in BANZAI"
Kimura Rocky Search

Default search pages below. Trey

AAD Search

Last edited by gwsiii on Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:33 pm; edited 6 times in total
HOPSTER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works for Army only.
Tried searching for some USMC Pacific theatre people.
No results.
DEFUC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my uncles listing but no details.maybe I did it wrong.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: search listing Reply with quote

After you find the 'single line' listing with name, you click on the check box indicating that's the one you want to look at, and then click the big button. It brings up a full screen of info, nothing earth shattering, just the blanks that you apparently filled in on your enlistment papers. They frequently 'break' the hotlinks to the pages so you may have to fiddle around to get there. Trey
soldat251

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: war records Reply with quote

The database lists Army draftees from World War II. My father was drafted in 42 and I was able to obtain his records. One note to searchers. Please follow the instructions carefully for entering the data. For example, if you enter a year typing 1942 instead of 42 as instructed, you probably won't find the file. There are dropdown lists to check off for most information. Don't forget to click "submit" asfter checking your information from these lists. I for one did the first time and couldn't figure out why the info wasn't coming up. Good luck.
03man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my Dad's enlistment data. Pretty easy to do.
DEFUC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it, found the basic info on my uncle that was wounded on saipan, and later got me started in guns & collecting. Now i just need to find a site with a complete list of wounded from that campaign and the after action reports.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: