Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAMBU IN 9 MM PARABELUM now with good pictures
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobernator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: NAMBU IN 9 MM PARABELUM now with good pictures Reply with quote

Hello, this is my first message here, i hope you can help me.

first, i need same info of my special nambu in 9mm parabellum, the barrel is original, and thicker than the normal (8mm) barrel (mine is 14mm thick and the normal in 8mm is 12 mm thick) , so it is a special and original nambu madewith this barrel with marks, and exact to the 8mm one except the caliber.

My gun has year 5.8 with small trigger guard

second, 2 days ago the piece to extract the brass (do not know the name in english extracter i think) broke

any idea where can i buy a new one??

here are same photos, sorry, the camera is rabish.

Last edited by gobernator on Tue May 29, 2007 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: 9mm Nambu Reply with quote

Welcome to to forum, sorry for the delay, I've been out of town. I have one, it looks to be an old conversion, once I get unpacked I'll try and post some pictures of it. I'll check with the Nambu guys and see if I can get you a good answer and a source for parts. I don't believe the Japanese would have converted it to 9mm, it is most likely a post war conversion, but I'll check my reference material to be sure. Trey
gobernator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, thanks for the reply, i was told that during the war there was an change between Germany and Japan (mauser and nambu), and then japan made a few nambu in 9 pb for the german army, and germany made a few mauser c/96 in 8mm for the imperial army. Could it be true???
Have anybody see a mauser in 8mm nambu???

thanks

aitor

PS: I need an extracter!!!!!! help!!!!! Sad
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: 9mm Reply with quote

In Japanese Military Cartridge Handguns 1893-1945 (Hand Cannons of Imperial Japan revised) By Derby and Brown...Japanese Ordnance personel indicate no caliber conversion/tests were performed on the Type 14s, prior to or during the war. It goes on to state that there are some Thai, Indonesian, Korean, Vietnamese, and Chinese conversions to 9mm in the post war era, as well on the typical home gunsmith conversions to 9mm, but, the action is not designed for the higher pressure cartridge, and thus would not be safe to shoot. In some cases Luger barrels were rethreaded and fitted to complete the conversion. Chances are, had the Japanese converted it, they would have marked it as being either, unsafe to shoot, or with the new caliber to prevent confusion. I have seen a few of the 6.5 Japanese rifles that were used in 7.7 Japanese conversions, and they were all marked with the new caliber. Trey
gobernator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS

and what about the thicknes of the barrel??

BARREL FOR 8MM NAMBU IS 12 MM
BARREL FOR 9PB IS 14 MM

yours is a 12 mm barrrel modificated to a 9 parabellum or is like mine a thicker barrel (14mm)???

i mean that making a special 14 mm barrel and exact to the original one is not easy.

and what about the mauser in 8mm nambu, do you know anything???

i shoot with mine with 3,5 grains
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: 9mm Reply with quote

Mine is a thicker than normal barrel. I've never heard of a mauser in 8mm nambu caliber. I have heard of Lugers that are marked with bad kanji indicating that they are Type 14s. These have been discounted as fakes for the most part.

gobernator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so.............

1) who made this nambus in 9mm pb?

2) is that true that there are mauser c/96 in 8mm?

3)mine is not maked as yours in the barrell, but the barrell is exact to the 8mm nambu except thickness and caliber......żżżż????

thanks again i will continue my investigation
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: 9mm Reply with quote

Got this reply from Jim Brown, Co-Author of Japanese Military Cartridge Handguns 1893-1945.
Quote:
Trey, there were no Type 14s originally produced in 9 mm Parabellum. Indonesia converted some to that caliber after WWII (mostly as smooth-bores) and a few turned up in this country, but in this case the barrel extension was probably drilled out and a new 9 mm barrel inserted and silver-soldered in place; if the work was done well, it won't be obvious. I have one that was converted to .380 ACP in this way.

The Type 14 action IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH to tolerate full-pressure 9 mm Parabellum loads safely. The owner of this pistol should fire it only with handloads approximating the performance of a .380, but use a good manual to develop these loads. Repeated firing of full-power cartridges in the pistol will eventually destroy it and may seriously injure the shooter.

Parts such as extractors occasionally turn up on the auction sites, but may or may not fit, as they are individually hand-fitted. Don Schlickman can provide slightly over-sized replacements that can be used for repair, but it may take an inexperienced worker two or three tries to get the desired fit without leaving it too loose to function properly. To remove the rear of the broken extractor from the bolt, use a hardened steel 1/16th inch (or equivalent) drill to make a shallow indentation in the top of the extractor body; then use this as a purchase point to drift the extractor forward out of its recess using a hammer and a small punch. -Jim

gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: 9mm Reply with quote

Contact Don Schlickman dfsjpn@aol.com for an extractor. Good Luck. Trey
gobernator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!!!!

is there any way to know the history of my particular nambu using the production number??

number 14785
date 5.8

thanks again, you all are very kind!!!
type-14

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frist I can only add what Jim Brown and others have already said and that it was not done by the Japanese and most likely done post war. I have seen a number of conversion from 22 cal, 32ACP and 9mm. As for your pistol it was made in Aug. 1930 (5.8 ) and using Dan Larkin's listing looks to be made towards the end of the month. Unless you have capture or bring back papers it, it is almost impossible to find out much more history on it. I hope this helps.

Last edited by type-14 on Tue May 29, 2007 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: date Reply with quote

5.8 would be August 1930 wouldn't it? Trey
type-14

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected Embarassed
gobernator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is august 1930, a man in Madrid who has a armory, 2 or 3 years ago imported 5 nambu, 4 of them in 8mm and one (mine) in 9mmpb, now this man is retired and know nothing more about him

i think it will be interesting to find if it exist that possible mauser in 8mm because that will prove that this pistol was transformed by the japanese during the war.

as far as i know in spain are 7 nambu typ 14, 6 of them in 8mm and deactivated Sad and mine in 9mm working fine Smile

do you think it is an interesting gun to collect?

HERE ARE GOOD PHOTOS OF MY NAMBU Very Happy

gobernator

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS FOR THE INFO ABOUT Don Schlickman, i just order my extracter an few things, nice guy both!!! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: