Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arisaka Type 99 Wood Stain Color

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louispoore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Arisaka Type 99 Wood Stain Color Reply with quote

Hi,

I have recently purchased an Arisaka Type 99 (early model) and would like to know what wood stain color that most closely resembles the original coloring of the weapon's stock.

The weapons original stain has been removed by a previous owner so I am no longer concerned about destroying an "existing patina" (that has already been done by some one else). I want to restore the weapon to its original coloring/gloss as much as possible.

Also, if some one has first hand experience retsoring this weapon (with great success) please provide the details (materials and process) and any advice that may be helpful.

Louis
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: stock Reply with quote

Louis, welcome to the forum! I need to post a 'sticky' about stock refinishing. I'll get someone with first-hand knowledge to reply. In the meantime there is some background here and here. Also John Wilshire does good work on stocks, for about $75 he'll do stock and handguard with no sanding, you can reach him by email at jwbattleflag@aol.com. Trey
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: finish Reply with quote

Here's an article from Stan Z. and Shannon Ziegler on the Type 99 Stock finish and an update on it.
Geokop

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Arisaka finish colors Reply with quote

I can't help with finding someone who works on stock refinishing, but I can pass on an observation of mine. Many photos that I've seen of Arisakas show them to be somewhat dark in color, almost like a dark red. I own a nice early war T99, from what I believe to be the Nagoya arsenal. It is not at all very dark in color, and yes, the finish is original. It is more brownish orange in color (for a lack of a better descrption). The blued metal pieces stand out nicely against the wood. Just because two rifles vary slightly in color doesn't make either one of them incorrect. Good luck with your rifle restoration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: