Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T99 problems at the 8-16, 17 shoot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mosko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: T99 problems at the 8-16, 17 shoot Reply with quote

Thanks to you guys with the help on the 99. The good news is, the rifle and head space are fine. I screwed up the ammo we were firing. With the correct length cases, she shoots perfectly!
mag

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the first part with your problem. what happened? what load were you using? As always I am interested in the shooting part. mag
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mosko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Original T99 problem Reply with quote

We were firing a t99 with formed 7.7 from 8X57 new Remington commercial brass. At shot #15 or so the cases started coming apart half way down. It looked like a head space problem in the rifle. I later learned the shoulder was .040" too short, which was technically an excessive headspace problem. The 1st 15 shots showed evidence of severe stretching, but I didn't notice that until whe had the case failure. we thought at first that the commercial brass was thin, but it was my forming mistake instead.

The cartridge was constructed using .311 pulled Russian light ball bullets, remington commercial 8x57 Mauser brass, WLR primer and 39 grains of M9 surplus powder (IMR-3031). This is a beginning load about 2300 fps for the first loading to fireform, so there weren't any pressure problems involved.

The strange thing, is that until the chamber heated up with the 1st 15 shots, the short brass formed to the 7.7. The hotter the chamber became, the worse the stretching until they started separating.
mag

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Thanks for sharing. I just neck size my 1st time 8mm brass with a 7.62x54r die, just enough that it will just fit in the rifle. That lets the ripple in the neck hold it in place for the fireforming, easier on the cases that way. Your load is a good one. My overall best is 40.0 of I-3031 with the Hornady .312 150 sp. mag
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mosko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on necksizing with the Russian die, I hadn't thought of that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: