Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Know your numbers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Know your numbers! Reply with quote

A funny thing happened at the most recent get together of the

Alabama
Society for the
Study of
Historical
Oriental
Lethal
Equipment and
Supplies.

Here are some pics, see if you can solve the mystery:

The series mark, in a circle to the left of the serial number, is for the 34th series. The arsenal mark, to the right of the serial number is that of Toyo Kogyo arsenal.

And the answer is...

Ok, they're consecutively numbered. 60+ yrs ago they were probably side by side being assembled, at least in the same building together. And now, 60+ years later, they are back in the same room. If the current owner had not been familiar with his serial numbers this one would quite likely be on its way to another collection. Incidentally, both stocks are previously rejected 'A' style (two drain hole, finger grooves) stocks that were pressed back into service at Toyo Kogyo. Both have 2nd class marks between the pistol grip and the toe of the stock. Current owner, sort of likes the 'trench art' look, so I don't expect the stock will be replaced/restored. The monopod type (B) band is incorrect, its Nagoya proofed, and will be replaced with a properly proofed Type 'D' band.

In attendance for the festive occassion were: Mr. Blevins (host), Mr. Boone, Mr. Stancil, and Mr. Veal, and Mr. White. A fine time was had by all, and we learned a little something too. We are looking forward to the next one. It will be hard to top this next time. Trey
garnettstancil@hotmail

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Know Your Numbers Reply with quote

Is it safe to say that Bobby now is the proud owner of both?
kfields

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great! I also carry around a slip of paper in my billfold with serial numbers just in case. I know another collector who also does the same although he actually carrys around a small pocket notebook.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: numbers Reply with quote

Bobby got it, when he looked at it, he mentioned that he had one pretty close, (off the top of his head), no notebook. Rick will have to relay the 'rest of the story'.

Last edited by gwsiii on Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needless to say, after confirming the serial numbers, Bobby walked around like a new Papa all weekend Wink! Can't blame him a bit!

Rick
Earl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Bobby's Memory... Reply with quote

I don't know how he does it...sometimes I think he remembers more about whats in my safe and cabinet than I do! He occassionally asks about a rifle or two I've had for years. I'm one of those that has to carry a marked up copy of McCollums book folded in my back pocket and I don't have but a fraction of what Bobby does.

Earl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: