Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gabilondo "Plus Ultra" in Japanese service.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hardrada55

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Gabilondo "Plus Ultra" in Japanese service. Reply with quote

http://www.warbooks.com.au/IndividualBooks/suicidesquads.html
I think this pilot is carrying a Spanish "Plus Ultra" 20 shot .32 auto. Can anyone confirm this for me? Does anyone have any information on this use of the Plus Ultra sidearm by the Japanese?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Astra Reply with quote

I've seen several pictures in publications on the use of those pistols, and their Japanese Contract holsters, unfortunately I don't know anything about them. Maybe someone else can help.

The Japanese used a variety of foreign made weapons as personal sidearms. They had to furnish their own for quite some time. It has been said that the cost of a Baby Nambu was more than a month's salary, so many soldiers opted for other foreign handguns that were much cheaper. The original Hand Cannons of Imperial Japan by Harry Derby, has a little more information on 'contract and foreign procured' hand guns and their contract Japanese style holsters. Thanks for posting. Trey
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Astra Reply with quote

I've found mention of the 12 round Astra, and other Astra models in:

Hand Cannons of Imperial Japan, Harry Derby 1981:
"...Astra Ultra "Royal" 70575 with police ID#10172...#26079 has number and Kanji "No. 34 which serves its county". Derby, p223
also a picture of one of the holsters for the Astra 700 on page 228, Derby.

Japanese Contract Holsters, Banzai Special Report No. 5, Lodestone Publications:
Reprint of Japanese language 'catalog' has the same picture of the long grip Astra, along with a line drawing of it and its holster, it appears to be pages 2, 3 of chapter 7.

Military Holsters of World War II, Eugene Bender, reprint Rowe Publications, 1998:
Picture of Astra and Japanese holster, #1782, renumbered by Japanese to 4808. p135.

The original Hand Cannons of Imperial Japan by Derby is being revised and is due out soon as JAPANESE MILITARY CARTRIDGE HANDGUNS 1893-1945: A Revised and Expanded Edition of "Hand Cannons of Imperial Japan".

Japanese Contract Holsters should be available from BANZAI (Lodestone).

Military Holsters of World War II is available on the internet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: