Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Threaded hole in Type 99's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kablam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Threaded hole in Type 99's? Reply with quote

I have seen two Type 99 shorts with a threaded hole in the butt and what appears to be oxidation (or lack there of) where the butt was attached to a bracket of some sort. Any idea what these are?

Mike
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: 99s Reply with quote

Artillery/Tank practice devices is general consensus. Commonly referred to as 'Artillery Spotters'. Some documents have surfaced showing 38s (I've seen) and 99s (I believe) mounted to artillery pieces and tanks for practice targeting purposes. I haven't seen many 99s, so I'd be very sure of one of those before I bought it, most of the 38s are from the late 28th series If I'm not mistaken. Trey
kablam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could have been 38's. It was a while ago in a gun shop. It had been sporterized, so I passed. I saw one online not too long ago for $800 I think. I can't find it now, so it must have sold. They both had a "shadow" on the butt where they had been attached to something. Very interesting.
DEFUC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the artillery spotter rifles,like Trey said,Ive saw pictures of one T-99 set up so far, and it was on an auction site for extreme money,Im very skeptical about the t-99's..considering some of the collections Im familiar with, there should be several examples around, and there just arent,so I remain very doubtful of the T-99's,however Ive saw quite a few of the t-38s,I think $800 would be high,however they are scarce enough to command some premium and whats high today,wont be tomorrow (you just buy them to early,not pay too much) ,The T-38s are a neat varient for a serious collection...Just my opinion tho, so its always best to listen to experts like Trey for reliable,logical info (I tend to go with my own theories along with whatever the majority of the voices in my head say.)
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

There is a 38 on auction I'd like to have, but I want to see the stock inspection marks. I have a 28th series, if I can ever get back to the den of sin, I'll get some pictures and post. Now that I think on it, most are 28th series Nagoya's, and some 26th series Kokura's show evidence of being clamped in something, without threaded sleeves in the buttstocks.....Trey
kablam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the one DEFUC was talking about. Buy it Now for $7500! I wonder if it comes with the artillery piece Wink ?

I don't see the shadow like I saw an the others and the hole seems further back on that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: