Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

99 Long Style Naval Trainer and Bayonet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: 99 Long Style Naval Trainer and Bayonet Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of the receiver of a 99 Long Style Naval Training rifle, I forgot to take full sized pics of the gun, may add those later.
We call them 99 Long style as they only have 1 gas port in the receiver, like the 99s, and the stock and front band style is more like a Type 99 Long Rifle. There are generally only marked with a serial number, and the Cherry Blossom over the Anchor on the top of the receiver, where a Chrysanthemum would normally be. The Stocks are usually 1 piece design, with 1 or more branded sets Kanji found on the right and left sides of the stock. The Kanji is usually 'Blank Ammunition Only' and a School/Prefecture name on the other. Sometimes they are found with painted rack numbers as well. They usually have un-numbered bolts, and a short, pointed cleaning rod that attaches into the stock, like a nail, and on the two that I have the stocks are proofed in the same area as a normal 'production' rifle.
Here's the receiver:

Here's the bayonet, on the back of the opening for the muzzle above the tang/backstrap:

Jareth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those cross guard marked navy training bayonets are quite uncommon. Mostly because that stamping can be easily overlooked & are at time very faint stamps. Nice finds.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Naval Trainer Reply with quote

Jareth, thanks for the compliment! They were Christmas presents from my Dad this year. I was with him when he got both rifle and bayonet. Just thought he'd lost his mind. Never considered he was buying both for me. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer sometimes. Trey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Training rifle barrels? Reply with quote

What is the story on training rifle barrels? I understand they are smooth bore usually, but why are they unsafe to shoot? On the rifles that had been in service then had the original barrels bored out smooth, wouldnt these be OK to shoot with regular ammo (albeit very unaccurate)? Are the actual made-as-training-rifle barrels made out of soft steel or metal? What about the receivers of trainers, are they soft steel too? I dont have a training rifle and if I did I wouldnt shoot it, but I just want to know more about them. You would think that they would build trainers that would not chamber standard ammo if all they were meant for is blanks. Rolling Eyes

I guess the Nippons had a better idea here, I just dont know what that idea was.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Trainers Reply with quote

Its hard to say. Training rifles in general, some were intended for blank ammo, some for gallery rounds, and some for just 'snapping'. Some were original service rifles that were pulled and sometimes bored smooth, sometimes remarked for blank ammunition only, and some marked as non-firing (not totally sure about this). Some were fabricated specifically as trainers. The inferior quality of the metal is obvious (cast receivers and parts) in some, and not so much in others. I've seen several that the only thing holding the barrel in snugly was the screw on the rear sight . While the barrel is threaded, if you tighten it up in the action, the front sight is at an acute angle, only thing to do is back it off and tighten up the rear sight screw and let the tension from the stock and hand guard hold the rear sight and barrel 'true'. I feel like firing normally charged ammo in trainers and the resulting mishaps are where Arisakas got branded with the 'dangerous/unsafe to shoot' label. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: