Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British 6.5 Ammo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: British 6.5 Ammo Reply with quote

It was looking a little rainy this morning, so I cancelled my planned yardwork and decided to make the 'haul' to may my monthly trek to one of my favorite gunshops miles away. They had gotten in an abundance of the 1950s era Chinese 6.5 ammo, and looking through it I found a few rounds of interest. In particular I found 3 rounds of what appear to be British Ammo produced during World War I for use with the Arisakas that Great Britain purchased from Japan. After I got home with my 'haul'. I decided to compare the rounds that I'd found with some Kynoch that I already had. For Identification and Reference I'm using Ken Elks' Japanese Ammunition 1880-1945. After reading the section on foreign 6.5 ammo I expected to see two, possibly 3 types, Kynoch with head stamp 'K' and 16 (Mark I early), and Kynoch with head stamp 'K' and 16 'II' (Mark II late).

Here are some pictures of the headstamps, and an overall picture of the 6 shells, showing the variations that my untrained eyes could recognize.

While 1,2,3, and 4 at first glance appear the same. They all have 'K' for Kynoch, and 16 for 1916, but when you look closer, actually, 1,3, and 4 have bevelled rims, 2 does not. The size of the date die stamp on 2 and 3 are the same, but 2 uses a stylized 'K' with 'flags' where 1 and 3 use a plain 'K' do not and 4 uses a different style 'K'. 1 appears to have a different primer, and the size of the die stamp is much smaller than on 2, 3, and 4. 4 also has some extra 'tick marks' to the right and left of the date. 5 has no headstamp, but the outward appearance of the case and bullet itself are quite similar, the primer is flatter and appears to be off center, 3mm on one side to rim, and 4mm on the other side to the rim. I think #5 may be from the Royal Laboratories at Woolwich from the description in Mr. Elks' book. 6 is similar to 1,2,3,and 4, but the date stamp has moved adjacent to the 'K' for Kynoch, and has II for Mark II where the date is on the others. I only expected to see 'K16' and possibly 'K16 II' as headstamps, and was pleasantly surprised that they are all a little different. Are there any other variations out there? Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: