Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Howard Dale Johnson USN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Remembering Our Veterans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Howard Dale Johnson USN Reply with quote

From the Simpson Funeral Home obituary

Quote:
Howard Dale Johnson, 81, was born August 6, 1927 in Columbus, Kansas and died May 3, 2009. He was the son of Carrol M. and Marie Tracy Johnson.

He married Virginia Marie Akers on July 24, 1951. She survives of the home. He attended Columbus schools and graduated in 1945 from Cherokee County Community High School.

After high school, he entered the U.S. Navy and served on shore duty in Shanghai, China. He was discharged from active duty in August 1946 and transferred to the U.S. Naval Reserve. Subsequently, he attended Kansas State Teachers College in Pittsburg for 2 1/2 years, while drilling at the Naval Reserve Training Center in Joplin and advancing to 3rd class Electrician's Mate. After KSTC, he worked at Long-Bell Lumber Co., where he became assistant manager.

When the Korean War started, he was recalled to active duty and assigned to a task group that set up the 1951 atom bomb tests on Eniwetok Atoll. Afterward he was assigned to re-commission an Attack Troop Transport APA-194 and was attached to it, seeing duty in Korea, Japan, the Philippine Islands, and Hong Kong.

When he returned from active duty in 1951, he resumed his job with Long-Bell Lumber Co. until starting a career with the U.S. Postal Service as a letter carrier. He retired in 1983.

After his release from active duty Mr. Johnson returned to the U.S. Naval Training Center in Joplin. He had achieved the rank of first class on active duty and served until his 60th birthday, rising to the rank of Master Chief Petty Officer. He filled various billets as instructor, department head, training officer, personnel officer, and executive officer. He served as Command Master Chief and mentored many young sailors. During reserve service he attended many advanced training courses and served on a variety of ships, from a wooden minesweeper to an aircraft carrier.

He is survived by two daughters Renee' Bridwell and Steve of Wichita, and Denise Bowker and Jeff of Oklahoma City, and three grandchildren; Michael-Paul Bridwell and wife Molly Bridwell of Oceanside, California; Sarabeth and husband Richard Eichenlaub of Abilene, Texas; and Cassandra and husband Jason Shirley of Oklahoma City, a great-granddaughter Mackenzie Bridwell of Oceanside, CA, and two nieces and their families. He was preceded in death by his parents, a sister Joan Lane, and one niece.

My friend, Howard Johnson passed away May 3, 2009, he was 81. I'm proud to say I got to spend a lot of time talking to Howard at the Blevins shoots over the years, I remember being floored when he mentioned that he had cancer, and then a shootout or so later overjoyed when he said it was in remission, and then floored again when he said it was back. Howard would always smile and tell stories with a twinkle in his eye. I'll truly miss him!

BANZAI old friend!

Trey Stancil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Remembering Our Veterans All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: