Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blevins Shoot 2009
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Blevins Shoot 2009 Reply with quote

The Blevins Shoot 2009 is in the books. Here is David Rogers with his 'souvenir' flag, kanji by Tsukihito Yamamoto.

3 Fun-filled days of shooting (targets and the breeze), shopping, and fellowship. The 'Usual Suspects' started rolling in late Wednesday and early Thursday morning. By Thursday night we were 6 or so strong (not counting the 'chirt monster' that snuck up on me and belly-bucked/head-butted me into the ground, but that's a different story in and of itself. My heartfelt thanks and appreciation to 'The Zeigler' and his infinite care and patience under fire in tending my wounds!

You positively will not find anyone like these guys: Ole 'Diamond Dave' Fooce, showed up at my place on Monday and we puttered around gathering supplies and jabbering incoherently at times in excitement about the upcoming shoot. We finally ascended Blevins mountain on Thursday afternoon, after a brief pause to try out some of our favorite animals (dead chickens, plucked, seasoned, breaded and deep fried!) We arrived with weapons, ammo, food, good intentions, and enough snake oil to stock a small country, I just believe if we'd have had a cow and an acre of corn, we'd have probably tried to make the world's largest corn-dog too! Shannon 'The Zeigler' Zeigler, Mike 'The Rock' Rockhill, and 'Damnit Bob, you're in my spot' Benson were already there. We spent the early evening oiling snakes and then the others watched me play 'Doctor' with Shannon while recovering from my Ultimate Fighting Challenge with the 'Chirt Beast from 10,000 Fathoms' (Beast 1 Trey 0).
That night, everyone but me got another of our favorite animals; swine, wrapped in pig (bacon wrapped pork tenderloin). As usual, we found the 21st series 38s, 3rd series Carbines, and a few other production anomalies, unfortunately, I was in charge of remembering and I banged my head.....As always there were a few deals made that afternoon and night, with some even bigger ones on the horizon. (a Naval Contract S&W, a Hen's Tooth and few other 99s and 38s and other things changed hands as well).

The early Friday Arrivals included Mr. Roy Boone, Mr. Doss White, and Mr. Don Voigt. 'Diamond Dave' sacrificed his day for chauffeur duty and he and I made a quick trek home Friday morning to pick up one of our 'Range Powder Control Officers', Mr. Weldon Stancil, and then we headed right back up. RPCO Weldon and the others were in charge of field testing of all the loads available for the various weapons to be sure the powder wasn't spoiled, I do believe he and the other RPCOs did a fine job over the course of the weekend! Almost all the powders and loads passed inspection!

By the time we made it back, more deals had been made, and more people had arrived. Mr. David 'Fuji' Rogers, Alex and his dad, Raymond and Martha Labar, Tsuki Yamamoto, John Davison, James Ratliff, are just a few. More snakes were oiled, subjects discussed, problems solved and deals done.

On Saturday, things really picked up. Phillip Morris, Dicky, and Brett rolled in with an entire truckload of suspect ammo and weapons for the RPCOs to test out. Our thanks to them for their time, money, and patience with helping the kids and others have a positive experience with firearms! A local gentleman brought in his 'cannon,' and that was a blast! In more ways than one! He got the 'betcha mine is bigger-n-yours' award for the weekend!

A lot of people got to experience 'Machine Gun Grin', as far as I know every person there got to shoot at least 1 mag through everying there. When the owners ran out of ammo, we checked our stores and contributed so that everyone could shoot anything they wanted too. The grease gun, probably burned through more than 1000 rounds (400 of it in about 20 minutes), I don't know the totals on the 9mm, 8mm, 7.62x39 cal counts shot in the various sub guns and other light machine guns, but I'm sure it was similar!

Things dwindled down on Saturday evening, most folks headed on home, a few of the regulars toughed it on out for a few more hours of fellowship, snake handling (oiling), and in closing up and tearing down/packing up some more deals got done. We had a pretty damn fair steak tasting (even if I do say so myself!) around midnight along with a Boston Butt, all pleasantly seasoned with TC's original flavoring (contact me if you'd like some) before turning in for the night. In all a wonderful time and just too special to try and explain, if you've never been.

Anyway, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, The folks you meet up on Blevins Mountain are certainly each and every one-of-kind...'finestkind!

Another pair of rifles got matched up, (still two different owners though), all variations of NCO Swords were there on display, Raymond had some really awesome bayonets for sale/trade, contact him for specifics. Doss' and Don generated a lot of interest with the Knee Mortar and Grenade Launchers and Rounds, I think Don sold out of his repro spigot grenades and launchers. George brought several contract rifles and pistols, all from Japan, just not Made in Japan originally, very impressive! Several Mausers changed hands, there were several Thai 91 carbines (new and original) just lots of interesting stuff and quite a few variations of Hen's Teeth.

If you missed it this year, you really out to try to make it next year, the Blevins family is truly a National Treasure! Our thanks to Henrietta, Bobby, Annette, and Megan for allowing us to 'invade' every year. Thanks again!
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: couple things Reply with quote

A couple things I left out, some of the guys had never experienced the products from some Little old Alabama based Companies. Buffalo Rock Company with their Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale that can be purchased by the case off of the website, this is really good stuff with purported medicinal uses as well see comments.

The others are Conecuh Sausage and Zeigler Meats smoked sausage products(no relation to 'The Zeigler' mentioned above). I have been bringing both companies smoked sausage products for years, and it has been well received. Never underestimate the medicinal power of a grilled smoked sausage late at night with mustard......

gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: more observations Reply with quote

A few more observations from the shootout.

The Thai Type 91 Army Carbine shoots more accurately than was to be expected according to Dave F. Very Happy

Dave F. has shot 2 of the 12 reported 45th series Hoten (Mukden) Type 99 short rifles, both showed no bulges in brass and were very accurate. Shocked

A vintage grease gun with a loaded mag of ammo: absolutely about the most fun you can have in 15 seconds, fully clothed, for $20 or less. Wink

If you don't have a 7.62x39 conversion kit for your 99 light, you are paying way too much to shoot it! Sad

Always make sure all your gear is stowed away before breaking out and over imbibing in the cool refreshing frosty adult party beverages. Embarassed

Last edited by gwsiii on Mon May 25, 2009 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
DEFUC

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Thai carbine in 6.5x50 was extremely accurate and pleasant to shoot,I think range officer Weldon ,ran about 120 rds thru it,even tho it really didnt like soft nosed ammo.I ran thru the rhardball like a champ and kncked targets down consistantly...the series 45 I used this year scored 5 hits in 5 shots on pins and cardboard tubes,and handled as smooth as any T-99 Ive ever used..the finish and quality of this one was excellent (possibly lightly restored /redressed,but it was mechanically a excellent examply and a very fine shooter.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Shannon and Mike broke out the chronograph and tested various 6.5 Japanese caliber ammo: modern hand loads, against 1915? dated Kynoch Ammo, 1930's issue Japanese, and late 1940's Chinese. One of them will have to post the results.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Thai Carbine Reply with quote

Here is the Thai 91 Army Carbine, I'd guess a couple hundred rounds went through this with little or no mechanical problems. It really shot well!

Army=Chakra crest
serial 1313
seinen

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey,

Do we have info on the Naval S & W?

C/
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Naval S&W Reply with quote

Chip, Mike Rockhill had it, I just assumed he'd reported it. 9119 If I'm reading it right. I can post pictures if needed. Just hadn't gotten around to it. Trey
Mike Rockhill

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm here (sloppy salute) Hows the head trey? I'd post some photos of the viscious wounding but my camera is on the fritz. Enjoy the S&W, best damned door stop I ever had. I jammed it down the front of my pants once so you may want to dissenfect. It use to have a front sight but I busted it off opening a old can of motor oil. The other grip may be in the sofa cushions at the house of a dusky gal I use to know, but I don't think I'm allowed back there again, people get funny like that you know. Davef may be allowed, so get him to come out here and find it. Good times.
Mike Rockhill

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: couple things Reply with quote

gwsiii wrote:
A couple things I left out, some of the guys had never experienced the products from some Little old Alabama based Companies. Buffalo Rock Company with their Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale that can be purchased by the case off of the website, this is really good stuff with purported medicinal uses as well see comments.

The others are Conecuh Sausage and Zeigler Meats smoked sausage products(no relation to 'The Zeigler' mentioned above). I have been bringing both companies smoked sausage products for years, and it has been well received. Never underestimate the medicinal power of a grilled smoked sausage late at night with mustard......

If this Zeigler meats is local you need them to make a run of "little zeiglers" for next years shootout.gigglegigglesnort
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Mike Reply with quote

Head's still there, thanks for asking. You're a more Southern, "Northern" Gentleman and a scholar than you know.

I was puttering around tonight (ok hiding from the children) came across a Chinese 99 stock with large recoil bolt and 'true' round push button cleaning rod catch, hhhmmmm, I might have two things I drug back from the shootout to fit in this stock, and none of it that would compare to a local (or quasi-foreign) sausage. Hens-tooth #2 fits it like it was made for it, and short push in rod fits it well enough not to have to worry about it falling out. I think it looks awesome, not quite so shiny as before, I may leave it like that.

For the non-attendees....
You folks really don't know what you miss by not getting to spend a little R&R, C&C, EB&P, Horse-Trading and STS time with this bunch. Holy Cow!-(now that I think about it I bet we ate one of those too) good thing it only comes round once a year.
03man

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey,
great write up.

We need a few more people next year, so let's put it on the calendar!
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: shoot Reply with quote

Thanks Don!

Here's one of the Smith & Wesson Model 3's that was there, #9119, I think.

and the markings on it with the all-important anchor

It cleaned up rather well I thought. You can see bluing in places. Anyone got some nice Ivory grips for it to go with my 1 1/2.

smzeigler

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey,

Good right up and well said. I am counting down to next year. If you've never been you don't know what you are missing and if you have been in a while, get back soon!! Time well spent.

Enjoy, Shannon
DEFUC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: