Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Japanese use of captured weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UBE Mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Japanese use of captured weapons Reply with quote

In 1941 and 1942, the Japanese captured thousands of enemy weapons. How much use did they get from them? I have head of them using captured Stewart tanks on Luzon and some Springfields, but what about the Enfields, Dutch Johnsons and other arms?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: captured weapons Reply with quote

I'm not sure I've heard any more than that. I've seen some stuff converted to training rifles, and a few bayonets with Japanese markings. Chip and Gunnar are probably best equipped to share knowledge on that subject. Lets see what they say when they drop in. Trey

Last edited by gwsiii on Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: manila Reply with quote

Japanese Soldier in Manila from Life photo Feb. 1942 is that an 03 Springfield?

Last edited by gwsiii on Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
seinen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: captured weapons Reply with quote

gwsiii wrote:
I've seen some captured stuff converted to training rifles, and a few bayonets with Japanese markings. Chip and Gunnar are probably best equipped to share knowledge on that subject.Trey

The Japanese imported many Gew.88 rifles and Chinese copies in the late 30s for conversion into trainers. I've also seen and owned a couple of Dutch Mannlicher rifles that had lugs mounted on the front bands to permit mounting of a Japanese T-30 bayonet. I'm sure other trainer conversions are out there.

C/
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Captured stuff Reply with quote

The Japanese used everything they captured. I understand that the 19th Div (?) in the PI was nearly entirely equiped with Allied equipment; M3 Stuarts, T-12 (Half tracks w 75s), Bren carriers (U.S. took them off a ship after Singapore surrendered), M1919 MMGs, etc. Dutch bolt-action rifles, Dutch Lugers, etc were also used in the NEI.

The Japanese were fanatical about using captured equipment long after ammo captured for them was depleted. They even issued a manual that described captured ammo they were using. I have a copy some place.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
Mike Rockhill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are known pics of japanese troops with springfield and enfield rifles. There are the modified dutch rifles, there are modified dutch short sword, converted to act as bayonets, converted standard dutch bayonets. all manner of things. I think there is a passage in "ordnance went up front" by roy dunlap where he mentions the japanese use of US weapons they had captured during the first phillipines battles early in the war. I think he specifically mentioned the only way at that point of the war (1944) to find US M1 ball (173gr boattail, not considered optimal for the garand so changed to the 150gr flatbase, M2 ball) was to find some recaptured from the japanese who used it in 1903 and 1917 rifles.
UBE Mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Captured weapons Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I was well aware of the use of captured aircraft such as the C-47, but was wondering if they used the small arms due to the ammo shortages.
John
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Aircraft Reply with quote

Dear UBE Mechanic;

Actually the Japanese had licenses to build Lockeed Model 14s and DC-3s and they were pretty much their standard aircraft transports, although there were some domestic types as well. I do not know of any captured C-47/DC-3s that the Japanese used. Interesting area of history.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: captured Reply with quote

Didn't English speaking Germans, and or the Japanese also, land a captured plane on an allied airfield somewhere, refuel and take off again for their original destination?

Last edited by gwsiii on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
UBE Mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,
While in Thailand in 1968, working on B-52D and KC-135 aircraft, I had an oppertunity to work on a C-47 that was rumored to have been used by the Japanese during WWII. I was told that all of the aircraft records prior to recapture were missing. Again, I have no proof and until then it remains just a story. I was aware of the Japanese built Taffy and the Lockheed aircraft. Didn't the Val dive bomber come from German designs which came from American designs?
John Davison
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: planes Reply with quote

Here's some captured airplanes from J-aircraft.com. Scroll down to the bottom left side, I think I have a link to his main page on the links page.
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: DC-3 Reply with quote

Off of the top of my head the Japanese probably purchased a few complete aircraft as examples as they obtained their manufacturing licenses.

I think the rumors of Vals being updated American or German designs are untrue but their paying attention to our dive bombing concepts was true.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
kablam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a show on the military channel not too long ago that told of the Japanese using the 30 cal machine guns they captured on Guam to defend the island later.

Mike
DEFUC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool aircraft site Trey,some really neat planes there,the japanese marked B-17 is pretty cool
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: site Reply with quote

I've got a book/thick magazine, nothing but Planes used by the Japanese.
May be the same one some of those pictures came from...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: