Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Flag, Japanese with Korean names

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: New Flag, Japanese with Korean names Reply with quote

I've always got an eye out for the odd and unique. I picked this up a few weeks ago. Small 10"x13" Japanese flag, signed, no translation other than the writing is Japanese and the names are Korean (Pak, Kim) for the Korean Auxillary Navy was what the description said. I'd like to get a more complete translation if someone has the time. Looks like something 13 in the lower left corner.
I plan to display this with my Jinsen weapons once I get it translated/confirmed.

Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Cool Flag Reply with quote

Trey;

That is a great flag.

I wonder how many Koreans served with the IJA and IJN? I guess they drafted them regularly. I know that they did in Formosa (Taiwan).

Frank

(386) 445-4225
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: flag Reply with quote

Frank, thanks. I'd been watching it for a long time. Finally I decided that the uniqueness necessitated 'buying it a little bit too soon.' I'd be curious myself to know more about Korean's serving with the Japanese. I saw something, maybe in the LIFE photos on Google or noodling around on the internet, about individual Japanese or Koreans serving with German Units. Trey
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: soldier Reply with quote

Just going by the 'Life' blurb, this appears to be a Japanese Soldier surrending in a German uniform. Just my personal observations on the LIFE photos, remember, these were taken by Photographers, not Militaria collectors or Military experts, so they just captioned what they remembered or were told. I'm not sure all the captions are totally accurate.
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Surrendering Reply with quote

He is probably a Mongolian captured and recruited into one of the ethnic Russian units - one Gen. Vaslof's (Sp?) guys perhaps.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: photo Reply with quote

Frank, I don't disagree. Seems like the famous photo in MRoJ of what Mr. Honeycutt describes as 99 short rifles being converted to 8mm is listed in the 'images' as being .30-06 conversions....Still some really neat stuff there. Did you see the soldiers surrendering in the late 40s or 50s from the island with their 99s wrapped in cloth/leaves? Trey
DEFUC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems I recall reading years a go about a couple koreans in german uniform being captured in normandy on D +1 or something,just cant recall the details...every army that could has used koreans as shock troops,even US,those ROK marines are some extremely tough SOB's.Makes sense the japanese would have assembled some troops of them since they held korea.Thats a very cool flag and should look excellent in a Jinsen/Mukden display..maybe get one of those silk navy souvineer flags/hankys with the korean peninsula on it to show along with it...Only thing wrong with that flag I can see is..... its not mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: