Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type 97 Restoration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Type 97 Restoration Reply with quote

HI,
I just joined your forum and I'm looking forward to learning more about a rifle in my safe that I picked up about a year ago. I thought it was a Type 38 rifle with a bayonet-- found out it was a Type 97. Sometimes you get lucky. I would like to make it look original as possible. It did not have the dust cover, cleaning rod and the Scope. I don't think I will be able to afford an original scope, but would like to pick up the dust cover and cleaning rod and some sort of scope mount. It has matching numbers and if someone is collecting data on these rifles I would be more than happy to help out. The rifle was shipped to the gentleman I bought it from to him by his uncle in '45/46. He told me he never shot it, and I believe him since the rifle is in excellent condition. I took it to a gunsmith and then to the range and fired a couple of boxes of ammo. I had forgotten how enjoyable it is to shoot these old military rifles. I've added a few pictures (sorry about the quality) if anyone wants to see more/something else then let me know. Also, any help I can get in trying to locate the part for this rifle would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DEFUC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking t-97 and a great find...if you havent yet,you should post it on the rising sun forum over at gunboards.com...Vic Soto is the guy collecting info on snipers,theres a data sheet here at C-T or over there,the information is very important for the ongoing research,and If the correct matching scope for your rifle has ever been reported,Vic knows...as for a after market scope mount theres a couple guys that make those too,which would allow you to fit a modern scope using the original hardware,until the right sniper scope comes along..its a lucky find for you,getting one as a t-38,T-97 usually command about 10x the $ of a comparable T-38.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

Jay, welcome to the forum! Very nice rifle. Your rifle is Type 97 (Model of 1937) sniper rifle produced by Nagoya Arsenal with Matsushita National arsenal bayonet. Very nice pairing! Please fill out a Type 97 Data sheet and send to Frank Allan (his contact info is at the bottom of the sheet) and he'll record what he needs and forward it on to Vic Soto.

There is some discussion as to the actual production dates of all Japanese rifles the gist of which for the 97 indicates production as early as 1937 through as late as 1943. Your rifle is one of the later ones so, say early 40's production. Its also in the range of a change over in band styles, refore to the datasheet for more information.

Your scope block appears intact, so you're good there. You can get a repro blued Cleaning Rod from Don Schlickman or watch for an original blued cleaning rod on ebay, dust covers are frequently on ebay, you'll want a Type 38 Dustcover. However, the condition your rifle is in, I don't think I'd put a dust cover on it and run the risk of it rubbing finish off of the receiver. Check with Frank or Victor to be sure, but if they had monopods that late, you can also get a complete reproduction monopod assembly from Don Schlickman. Don Voigt may also be able to help you out with some of the parts I think he has special mounts to fit a modern scope to the original block and may have original rods too.

See Ammo - Parts - Reproduction - Restoration Service Post for Don & Don's contact info. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for posting and taking the time to share your 'treasure' with us! Trey
Jay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: T-97 Restoration - Moved Reply with quote

Thanks, for the info. I've continued this on the Gunboards- Firearms of the Rising Sun forum. http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=124363 Again, appreciate you time and effort in helping me out.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

Jay, thanks for the update. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: