Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP Type 99-Can't get safety back on gun!!!! (Resolved)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hlahout

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: HELP Type 99-Can't get safety back on gun!!!! (Resolved) Reply with quote

SOMEHOW I WAS PLAYING AROUND WITH MY 99 AND THE ROUND SAFETY DISK CAME OFF THE GUN AND NOW THE BOLT IS JAMMED SHUT-CAN SOME PLEASEEEEEEEE HELP ME PUT IT TOGETHER-I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING Sad . MY EMAIL IS HLAHOUT@AOL.COM AND CELL IS 603-616-7991. THX!! HERB
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: in progress Reply with quote

I called, its a type 38.

Update, I tried to recreate what happened to Herb, I'd only been exposed to having the bolt lock up after decocking with the safety still on it. As far as I know the only way to 'fix' that is to follow Step 2 below.

From what Herb said, the bolt was locked closed in the action without the safety. So I took the safety off my rifle, and closed the bolt. Then I tried to open it, just a little wig-wag up and down, not going to come out. Looking at the back of the bolt from the rear into the receiver it looked like this:

Basically it looks like the foot of the firing pin rotates to the left with the bolt when the safety doesn't hold it in the channel in the bottom of the receiver, the tension from the bolt and bolt release, keeps it from free falling out, and the position of the foot against the bolt body keeps the bolt from opening see pic below.

All I did was reach in with pliers and pull the pin out by its edge.
Use needle nose pliers, grab the back edge and pull out. It comes out easily, if it sticks wiggle it or the bolt a little while still pulling.

Reassemble and good as new.

STEP 2 remove action from stock, remove bolt release screws, bolt release and ejector, and trigger pin (closest to muzzle, mine went left to right) and remove trigger. Watch for where trigger spring flies.
From opening where bolt release was, push firing pin out, remove bolt normally. Reassemble and remember not to do it again......
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

updated, see above.
Kavan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same safety button and spring just came out on me today while I was checking around for inspection marks.

I think I will take mine in and have it completely checked out and provide the advice above to someone a little more familiar with the weapon. It is a Series 1 Nagoya that hasn't been fired since the battle of Guam in 1944.

Anything thing else I specifically need to have checked out for safety. I would like to put some rounds down range with it.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: safety Reply with quote

as long as the safety isn't physically 'broken' (stem/post loose where it connects to the base of the knob) and its still in 7.7 Japanese caliber, it should be fine to shoot.
Kavan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Problem also resolved here.

The gun smith I took it too really enjoyed working on it. He Hadn't seen a complete Type 99 with all the parts in several years. The shop owner was surprised to even see one without a wood butt plate. If I have heard the story once about how at one time you could buy these from a barrel at your choice for $25.00 each I have heard it 100 times.

He also told me that leaving the safety off and in the firing position while in storage will help take the stress off the spring.

In any event whatever you do, don't try to adjust the safety button when the bolt is not locked forward in place.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Appreciate the update, glad you got it resolved. Trey
riceone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These threads about bolts always interest me. I started out a dumb kid with a T99 in 1950 and have been fooling with them ever since and I have never had a problem like I read on this forum and others about the bolts. I have tried to lock one up and have not been able too. Yall must be smarter than me. riceone. Embarassed
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: bolt Reply with quote

Roy, its is harder than it looks, I did it when I was a pre or just in to my teens. Most of the time, it happens when you do a combination of decocking and turning bolt and rotating safety. You can also lock it up if you put the bolt together without the firing pin spring and then try and put it in the rifle. Looks like postimage lost my pictures, again.....You get what you pay for...Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: