Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

serial numbers on bayonets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleur

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: serial numbers on bayonets Reply with quote

What do the serial numbers on Type 30 bayonets tell us?
Or is it just a serial number without info about date etc.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: bayonet serial #s Reply with quote

Very early bayonets were said to be numbered to the rifles they were to be issued with. Earliest bayonets were numbered on the crossguard, and later the back strap, with final placement on the back of the pommel. When moved to the back of the pommel (probably about the time that series markings were adopted for rifle production) series marks were added to bayonet serial numbers to save 'space' to keep the serial numbers limited to 5 digits, with a series or hiragana mark indicating the 'prefix digits' much like on rifles. Apparently each manufacturer was allotted a specific range of series/hiragana marks. When production reached 99,999 for a particular run, the next series/hiragana mark was implemented and serializing started over (at 1 or 0, depending upon the reference cited). Someone correct me if I've missed something, or am in error. I'm a rifle guy, to me bayonets are really just for roasting hotdogs in the field. trey
deleur

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha...

Thank you for the information.
Thought also that they would be using blocks just like the rifles because the serials never extend a certain lenght.
48marine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a T-38 school rifle that came with a bayonet when I bought it. Never paid much attention to the bayonet before reading this post. It appears to be an 11th series Nagoya bayonet.

The interesting thing is that the serial number is preceeded by 2 sets of what appear to be parenthesis or zeros-- () () 1176.

I know the rifles had two OO's added to the front of the serial number when
taken out of service. I'm curious if they did the same with the bayonets.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: bayonet Reply with quote

I don't know much about bayonets, I'm not far from thinking you only need two, a long one, and a short one to have a complete collection. The parenthesis may be portions of the actual series marks, for years, Mukden Type 38 rifles from the 50th series, with an actual series mark, were referred to as 'W 3's, as the series marks resembled a disjointed W followed by a disjointed looking sort of 3. I'm at Japbayoman's house, I'll get his 2% on it a little later. If you can, upload a photo, it would save me having to scour through his collection for something similarly marked. Thanks for posting. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: