Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T-38 stock color

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
car99

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: T-38 stock color Reply with quote

Trey, Were there light and dark colored stocks for the Kokura series 24 and 25? I have seen both blondish and deep red colored ones for sale that don't seem to be sanded or messed with. The b&w photos in Fred's book made the wood look lighter toned to me.........Jim
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: stock Reply with quote

My better condition Kokura series guns, and non-series reworks have lightly colored stocks. I'll double check. Nagoya had darker colored stocks for the most part. Also depends on how much usage, oil, and dirt have built up over the years, staining the stocks a little darker. Trey
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: stocks Reply with quote

In general I'd say Kokura stocks are lighter, when found in excellent condition. Nagoyas were light into the 26th series. By 27th and 28th there were a pretty dark reddish color, at least the ones I have. Trey
car99

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: T38 stock color Reply with quote

Thanks for the information Trey! I asked because I bought the rifle and bayo that came up for sale on this forum at the end of March, and I was a little concerned it might have been refinished because the stock is redish but not the TK deep red I'm used to.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

Jim, I schemed to buy that rifle and bayonet for a long time. Just never got serious about it. If the inspection marks and fullers are good, I think its ok. If you get tired of either it or the bayonet, let me know, I love to 'scheme' whether I have money or not. When you posted your interest, it reminded me I was 'scheming'. So many toys, so little money. And so it goes. Trey
car99

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: T38 stock color Reply with quote

Trey, I was away for a month after the rifle went on CT and was surprised it was still for sale. 'What's wrong with it?', was my reaction, and when I couldn't see anything bad, I took the plunge. Money's tight, so this was my first purchase for some time, but it looks very good to me with not much sign of wear other than stock dings. I'm trying to figure out if it's at all matching without taking it apart, but I guess I'll have to for the assembly number. Was it only the 99's that had the screws pinned because it doesn't seem like these were?........Jim
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Rifle Reply with quote

Jim, it was just 99s that were staked. I wouldn't fool with taking it apart, the bolt number should match the receiver, extractor will likely match assembly number. Assembly number might be found on the top edge of the bolt release (with it pulled out), otherwise it will be on the bottom of the receiver. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: