Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type 35 Bayonets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Type 35 Bayonets Reply with quote

Had a chance to examine 3 Type 35 bayonets last night. Serial numbers: 10,300, 14529, 16,723.

The Type 35 (model of 1902) bayonets were designed for use with the Type 35 (model of 1902) long rifle, all (rifles and bayonets) were produced for Japanese Naval use by Tokyo (Koishikawa) Arsenal. It appears that after adoption of the Type 38 Rifle and Carbine, that many were sold to foreign countries including (Siam and Finland).

Differences from the normal Type 30 bayonet include a spring catch to lock bayonet to scabbard, and raised wooden grips. 10,300 is Japanese use with Kanji on the grips. 14,529 is from Finland (un marked). 16,723 is Siamese, marked on the grips with Siamese numbers. 3 very uncommon bayonets in the same room again. Overall lengths are the same, apparent length difference in picture is due to camera angle. Note button release and frog style differences.

Last edited by gwsiii on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
DK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are great Leather frogs. Middle Bayonet has a nice wood handle. It seems all the blue steel has been removed from the blades.
DK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lowest bayonet in the photo. Is that one equipped with an original leather frog?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: 35 bayonets Reply with quote

All the frogs are originals. Only the middle bayonet is mine, and it came from Finland with that frog, about three years ago. I do not know if the other two frogs came on those bayonets though. The blades on these early bayonets were all bright polished, never blued during normal production. Trey

Last edited by gwsiii on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Jareth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Frog Reply with quote

Trey, I believe, based on the two type 35 bayonets with frogs I've owned & three additional ones I've examined that the correct frog for type 35 bayonet is identical to yours being a double hanger with no rivits. The others I feel have been added.
buellmeister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jareth, hello my friend!

Joel
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: T35 Reply with quote

Jareth, appreciate the info, I don't know much about bayonets, I know which end to use to make Doss squeal the loudest though. Ray may have mentioned that the frogs on his were added, I just don't remember for sure. The frog on mine (middle) still has most of the markings and date (I think) visible. Hard to photograph though, I may put that on my list of things to do this weekend. Trey
gtbehary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics!
deleur

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anymore info on the bayonets in general.
Like quantities produced etc. ?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: 35 bayonet Reply with quote

I had the model year wrong, was in a hurry, The model 1902 is for the Type 35, Model 1905 is for the type 38. That's what I get for not paying attention. Total production was under 50K, if I remember right. I'll double check tonight and update this. I guess that's something I need to do on the id pages, is list total production. Glad you raised that point. Trey
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: bayonets Reply with quote

High serial number reported for T35 rifles is 36659, from MRoJ.

High serial number reported for T35 bayonets is 38110, from Jerry Price's research.

This was relayed to me by Frank Allan. Thanks, Frank!
ronin48

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New book out soon, "The Early Arisakas" covers the T-30, 35 and o2-45. Ha photo of 35 b'et, but little else, latest data on 35 rifle. Book by Frank Allan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: