Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to the place + my collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Noid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: New to the place + my collection Reply with quote

Howdy, guys. I just found this place. Very nice! I am a WWI collector, but slowly getting back to Japanese weapons. Here's my collection:

Sword

http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sword3iu7.jpg

http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sword2tj8.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clockntagld5.jpg

Nambu Type 14 and 94

http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nambusbg7.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=type14ce7.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=type94cz7.jpg

Flag

http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=meatballon1.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=meatball2pd5.jpg

About my collection

Most of the stuff I have is from a vet who served with the 63rd Artillery in the Pacific. He was a friend of the family for many years. I received all of his WWII items two years ago when I was 16 (I'm 18 now). I was lucky enough for him to show me all of his items and tell me the story behind them before he died.

The sword is from the vet's estate and looks brand new. The story of how he obtained it is interesting. Once night he and a group were out on patrol. They kept hearing a Japanese patrol and kept trying to find them. About an hour and a half into the mission, the U.S. soldiers heard someone running right at them. Gunfire broke out and the U.S. patrol killed a Japanese officer. The officer evidently had gotten lost from the rest of his group. The next morning, my veteran friend went out to where they were the previous night and found the dead Japanese soldier. In the officer's hand was this sword. There was a tag attached to the sword, which can be seen pictured with the clock out of a Zero aircraft (third picture from the top). He had the tag translated and the best he could recollect, it was presented to this officer by his family when he graduated officer's school. The tag has since fallen off of the sword and was missing half of it ever since it came into my posession. The handle grip is made of shark skin and the rest of it is engraved and has a five petal flower in the middle.

The clock for the Zero was taken by my friend from a downed aircraft. It would still run if I wound it up!

The type 94 was from the same vet's estate. He told me that he captured it from a Japanese soldier. He carried it for the duration of the war as his personal sidearm. He talked of walking past caves and firing the pistol into those caves. The whole rig itself includes two chrome magazines, canvas holder, and cleaning rod. Also fifty original rounds of 8mm Nambu are with this pistol. There are no markings on the holster. The magazines do no match, but the magazine numbers are 465 and 256. The serial numbers on the pistol is 5575 with a 13.6 date making it a June 1938. The arsenal is Nagoya. This pistol is atleast 98%. The only wear on the weapon is light wear from the safety being moved up and down. Everything else is perfect, no exaggeration.

The type 14 was a vet bring back I bought at a gunshow. The guy said his dad brought it back from the war. It is a Nagoya with serial number 89881 and a 16.2 (February 1941) date. The magazine matches the pistol with 881. Only wear is around safety. Other than that it's spotless.

The flag is also from my friend's estate. He told me that it was obtained from a wounded soldier. The soldier was bleeding and had stuffed the flag into his boot to stop the bleeding. The flag was presented to him by one of his friends. There is a lot of writing on it, which he told me was all of the names of Japanese soldiers in a particular fighting unit. Also, at the lower right hand side, my friend had written "Presented to me by Lt. Lowe." which was his friend who had given it to him.

My Type 44 is all matching and made at Koishikawa. Has the mum. It's a very nice shooter. The serial number is in the 27000 range. The Type 99 is a Nagoya with mum, monopod, and aircraft sights. Everything matches except for the bolt. The two bayonets are from Kokura and one from an unkown company under Nagoya contract.

I also have a beautiful Type 30 hook safety on the way, but it's missing the extractor. If anyone can help me out, that would be greatly appreciated. I'm also in the market for a decent Type 38 since I don't have one yet.

I hope you enjoyed my collection. Thanks for looking!
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: collection Reply with quote

Noid, welcome to the forum, very nice collection! If you don't mind, please go to the datasheet page and print out and fill out datasheets on your rifles and send them to the addresses on the bottom page. Mike and Dan Larkin collect information on Nambu pistols, and will probably be in touch for the particulars on yours. I collect information on Type 99s, and Frank Allan collects the information on the rest of the rifles you mentioned. I don't have an extractor, but I believe Don Schlickman (dfsjpn@aol.com) makes reproduction Type 30 extractors. Keep us posted on additions to your collection! Thanks for posting your pictures! I'm sort of partial to Type 44s, will trade and post some pictures when I get a chance. Incidentally the 4 large Kanji on your flag should be at the top, with I think, the ties on the right. Trey Stancil
The Noid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, Trey.

I'll be filling out the datasheets this evening and submitting to the proper people.

I had already gotten in touch with Don. He said he was very busy, but if I didn't find an original extractor to contact him again in a couple months.

And about the flag... I relized the other night it was upside down. I'm rather embarrased. Embarassed

I look forward to getting to know you all.
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to this board Noid! I see Trey beat me to tellin you about the flag being upside down - like I did on Gunboards. Smile I'm always ready to help! I think you should forget all that WW1 stuff & stick to this. You've done great so far.

I've actually dabbled in WW1 German a bit as well. I traded my Gew 98 for an Arisaka & would like to find another one.

[/img]
The Noid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your help you've given me thus far, Arisaka. I'm glad I'm able to converse with you all and sometime (hopefully) I can gain a bit of your knowledge on Japanese weaponry.

I love the gas mask, Arisaka. I've always wanted one, but never ran across one. I probably won't give up WWI altogether since I've got quite a bit of it thus far, but I'm definitely hooked on Japanese collecting!

Again, thanks for everything.
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gas mask has spare lenses in the canister lid. Did you notice the saw-back bayonet?
Welcome to this hobby!
The Noid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that's very nice saw-back bayo. A lot cleaner and spiffier than mine. If you ever want to get rid of it, give me a shout!
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No plans to part with it. The frog has the soldiers name Muller on it. Then again, you may come across somthing I can't live without! Good Hunting!
new sks 2005

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome collection!!!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: