Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smzeigler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: What is this? Reply with quote

All,

What is this? Can anyone translate? This was shown to me at last month's VGCA Show.

Thanks, Shannon

Mike Rockhill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shannon,
That is a sakagawea dollar, the are pretty much worhtless, as hardly any snack machines accept them, and the pimply faced kids at the local quickie mart don't know what they are. They will never have any value, as 97% of them have been hoarded up by weird old men, in hopes of making future generations wealthy, like the "gold double eagles" their grand fathers never had for them.
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I think he means the other thing. Rolling Eyes
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: translation Reply with quote

According to Tsuki, both items are post war. The front is 'cosmo' or 'space' with the name of Mr. Ryoichi Sasagawa, and on the back the date is Showa 54, so 1979 and Tsuki translates it as "for 10th Anniversary of Aporo 11" which makes me think it is something commemorating the 10th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission, for those that slept or slew braincells through that part of life or history class, it was the first 'manned' mission to touch down on the moon, with Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, and Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin. Two of the most famous quotes of modern times arose from that...Armstrong's first words after landing were: "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed" and of course the often misquoted...."That's one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind". I don't know if something is missing, or if it is just a plaque. I'll see what Edokko has to say. Interesting non-war related item though.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Got this from Edokko, outstanding information, Thanks!

Quote:
...That paper weight is a souvenir given out commemorating the Space & Science Expo held in Tokyo from 1978 to 1979, where it showed a pretty big exhibition of all things space, from Mercury space capsules to moon rocks. It was sponsored by the Sasagawa foundation, a foundation built on boat racing (sort of like horse racing but using small boats) revenue and run by a right-wing ex-Sugamo inmate named Ryochi Sasagawa, a controversial figure to say the least (see following Wiki info for details).

The "heads" side has the word "Uchu (space)" on the top and then "Ryoichi Sasagawa" on the bottom. The "tails" side says "July 21, Showa year 54 during the Space & Science Expo, was the day commemorating the 10th anniversary of the first human landing on the moon surface by the American Apollo 11 rocket. On this day, Chairman Sasagawa, with prayers for a peaceful use of space and everlasting prosperity of the human race, created the design of this piece / September 3, Showa year 54 / Space & Science Exposition Association / Chairman Ryoichi Sasagawa / Chief of Assosiation Seiji Kaya".

Just as a note on why Sept. 3 is this was the following day after the last day of the Expo (Sept.2, 1979), so this piece must have been given out as a commemoration souvenir to all who were involved in the operations of the expo. I can't stop being fascinated by all the stuff that you guys dig up ! Intriguing !...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryoichi_Sasakawa

smzeigler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: You are a funny man, Mr. Rockhill Reply with quote

You are a funny man, Mr. Rockhill......

Team thanks for the info. I'll pass along to the owner. Tsuki? Did you bring your laptop to Nashville or does he consult for us on this page? Looking forward to seeing all on Blevins' mountain next month.

Shannon
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: translation Reply with quote

We stay in the hotel and they have internet access, I was able to print it off and show it to Tsuki when came in. Alway good seeing he and Mari. He said he was offered a plant manager position if he went back to Japan, but he'd decided to stay here. He's getting a pretty nice collection that he wouldn't be able to take back with him, I think. I wonder what Sakagawea translates to in Japanese, sounds sort of naughty in English.......Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: