Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new 32nd series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Rockhill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: new 32nd series Reply with quote

Just picked up a 32nd series with the non drilled monopod rear band at a local gunshop. Paid $350. Rifle is matching ground staked, serial is 49781. other note worthy features are that it has the early taller front sight guards(maybe previously rejected barrel), possibly explaining the small diameter circle stamped onto the LH side of the rear sight sleeve. Though I have thought this may explain lack of wings on the AA site, it probably doesn't, the rifle had a kokura rod which I swapped out for a TK rod, so it was likely stripped of it parts. Also has wear marks from DC so it had one of those before too.

gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: 32nd Reply with quote

That's a good one, I agree about the marking, I've seen it on a couple others that have earlier front sights. I wonder if its just the front sights or if they were complete barrel assemblies. I need to take a weekend and try and figure that out. Trey
Mike Rockhill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the tall front sight and small circle on the barrel goes, Is this something you see in the 32nd series typically, or toyo kogyo, or overall 99 production. It seems Toyo kogyo used more previously rejected parts than other manufacturers.
03man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the front sight was installed before finishing, it must have been the entire barrel assembly, JMHO.

Mike,
How is the TK rod marked? I'm guessing the Kokura rod is unmarked?

What do youse guys think about the flat and rounded end rod theory?
Can either be pinned to a single mfg?

I need one of those undrilled rifles!!
Mike Rockhill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both rods are unmarked. TK does have a flat tip and the long section of the rod is noticeably thinner. Kokura has the rounded tip and a fatter long section. Trey may have something further to add to this
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: rods Reply with quote

Mike's got it about pegged. Kokura rods are much 'thicker' through the long rod section than TKs and have a rounded tip, where TKs have a flat tip. I don't think either bear inspection marks. I wouldn't say that the marks are for use of 'rejected parts', I think its more of, use of 'obsolete' parts. I agree with Don, That they are probably entire barrel assemblies. There's something else but it escapes me at the moment, been working a lot of overtime so lots of little things are escaping me this week. Trey
Bill B

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, that one is a real beauty, tha condition also looks great. I can't wait to see it. Bill B
smzeigler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Great looking rifle. It is as pretty as you described.

All,

As for the rods, take a known Kokura, TJ and/or Nagoya long rod, place one in each hand and roll the shaft with your finger tips. You will feel a noticeable difference between them. If memory serves the Kokura rods are apprx. 3mm in dia. and the Nagoya and TJ are 2mm in dia. I can't comment on the TJK, Jinsens or others. BTW TJK rods are marked an rare as hen's teeth. I think I've only seen one or two in Bobby's collection.

I have not bought a Japanese firearm in months. Going through withdrawal at Fort Riley, KS.

Enjoy, Shannon
Mike Rockhill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what few TJK rods I have seen, as shannon says, they are marked. They are marked on the side of the head and it usually is pretty indistinct. the tip of the rod is flat and has a chamfered edge (again, from the few observed) , where TK is flat with sharp edge, and nagoya is flat and as everyone knows marked. I have also noticed ,while we discuss rods, that there are 2 manufacturing variations in nagoya long rods(for the short rifle), and I can't remember anyone discussing them before.On the first the rear of the tip of the rod reduces abruptly to the smaller diameter, and then abruptly gets thicker again. On the second, instead of abrupt changes, they are tapered, both down to small and back up to being thick again. I believe they appear sometime in the later half of the 4th series, and it appears that it carries into the short rods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: