Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Con man selling swords and bayonets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtbehary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Con man selling swords and bayonets Reply with quote

Just a note that I got burned by a fellow in Poland selling bayonets. If I would have done some research (I didn't think I had any reason to) I would have found a plethera of information on this guy. I am glad it was for only a Japanese bayonet and not a precious sword or something. Be careful when buying form someone in Europe asking for Western Union payment.
He has used the following names:
Tomas Nowak
Tomasz Nowak
Tomek Nowak/Novak
Pawel Nowak/Novak
Pawel Tomasz Nowak
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Nowak Reply with quote

Sorry something like that happened. I'll put this on a 'sticky' in the sell area as well. How does he 'run' his scam? Trey
gtbehary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He seems to monitor the various groups and discussion boards and privately emails his intended victims. He only states the items that interests the victim (in my case he showed me pictures of two French bayonets and one Japanese bayonet, knowing that I collect Japanese bayonets. Then he proceeds to email the victim with his credentials, that really have nothing to do with the sale of the item. He happens to price his items very reasonable saying that he purchased them at a flea market or yard sale, but doesn't really collect the items. After a price is agreed upon with shipping costs, he tells you to send Western Union payment (big mistake...never do this). You send payment and never hear from him again!

Food for thought, someone baited him here:

http://www.jref.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7412
deleur

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the Netherlands and do not trust it doing bussines with former eastern europe countries.
Lot of criminal gangs including polish are crossing our border at the moment. Doing fraud and prostitution etc.

Sorry for the people who live there with good intensions. But i wouldn't spend an euro on them.
gtbehary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleur wrote:
I live in the Netherlands and do not trust it doing bussines with former eastern europe countries.
Lot of criminal gangs including polish are crossing our border at the moment. Doing fraud and prostitution etc.

Sorry for the people who live there with good intensions. But i wouldn't spend an euro on them.

I have had a lot of positive (Ebay) dealings with a few fellows from Poland. I guess my luck ran out.
I have had a lot of good dealings with people from the Netherlands!
Nagoya10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This same guy tried to scam me a while back, but fortunately I had heard about him already from the Bayonet Collectors Network that I belong to. Pawak had ripped off a member and it was subsequently learned that the photos that this dirtbag sends are all ripped off from Ebay or other sites. He never had any of these items, obviously, and lures people in by offering low prices for items of obvious higher value. He is a prime example of an internet criminal.
gtbehary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: He's back at it again. Reply with quote

The nerve of Mr. Pawak. He sent me another offer. He must have thought that I forgot that I lost money on one of his deals already.
See below:

Ich biete deutsche Auszeichnungen/Insignien, Helme und Bajonetts/Daggers an (WK1 und WK2). All die Gegenstände sind originell und in gutem Zustand. Ich verkaufe sie zu einem sehr günstigen Preis.

I have some German Insignia/Medals from WWI and WWII and a few German helmets from WWI and WWII in a good condition. There are also German daggers. I have also a few bayonets and swords for sale: japanese arisaka, and three french bayonets: Chassepot, Grass and Lebel. I would like to sell them for a reasonable price. I also have a japanese swords (katana and tanto) with the blade from XVIII century. If you could have an interest, let me know.

Regards.

Shipwrecks.Research@yahoo.com

gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: scam Reply with quote

I haven't heard from him in a while, haven't checked the spam box on here lately, could have been something in there. What a guy. Trey
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

he's/they're back.....got this today....

Quote:
Hello:

I have some German Insignia/Medals from WWI and WWII and a few German helmets from WWI and WWII in a good condition. There are also German daggers (SA, SS, Kriegsmarine, Wehrmacht and other). I would like to sell them for a reasonable price. I also have a japanese swords (katana and tanto) with the blade from XVIII century. If you could have an interest, let me know.

Regards.

Shipwrecks.Research271275@yahoo.com

maritz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received an e-mail from a guy named Pawak from Poland. His name looked familar from here. This character the other day was trying to sell me an unsolicited sword. He in fact e-mailed me twice asking to see if I wanted to buy his items. Needless to say hell no!
gtbehary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: update Reply with quote

Got the exact same email. I have a folder with them in it. How does he continue to do this so openly.

gwsiii wrote:
he's/they're back.....got this today....

Quote:
Hello:

I have some German Insignia/Medals from WWI and WWII and a few German helmets from WWI and WWII in a good condition. There are also German daggers (SA, SS, Kriegsmarine, Wehrmacht and other). I would like to sell them for a reasonable price. I also have a japanese swords (katana and tanto) with the blade from XVIII century. If you could have an interest, let me know.

Regards.

Shipwrecks.Research271275@yahoo.com

chevalier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Be careful when buying form someone in Europe asking for Western Union payment.
He has used the following names:
Tomas Nowak
Tomasz Nowak
Tomek Nowak/Novak
Pawel Nowak/Novak
Pawel Tomasz Nowak

thanks for warning us so that we will not become the next victim.
ronin48

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's been around since T. rex. I 'played" him years ago, as I remember I said I was interested in some things he had, but didn't have the funds. We emailed back and forth, he lowered the price and then I told him I knew what a scumbag he was. I'm surprised he's using the same/similar name!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: