Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

duffle bag cuts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kavan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: duffle bag cuts Reply with quote

How can you tell if your Type 99 short rifle was duffel cut or not ?

Can someone post photos of an examples of one with and one without a cut?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: cuts Reply with quote

Kavan, it pretty much depends on the rifle configuration. Early and transition rifles with front bands that have 1, 2, or 3 screws and are not pinned are all full uncut stocks. Factory 'duffle cuts' are found on rifles with pinned front bands. With that said, if the stock is cut under the rear band and the front band has screws, its duffle-cut. If its cut and has a pinned front band it is most likely factory.

The factory cuts were for ease of assembly for rifles with pinned front bands. You can slide the rear barrel band over the front sight, slide the fore-stock into the front and rear barrel bands, sit the action in the main stock, and slide the rear barrel band over the junction of the fore-stock and rear stock, insert the rear band screw and you have a reasonably solid connection. However, if the front band were attached with screws and on a barracks cut stock, it will (whenever it can) slam forward in to the front sight and pinch whatever exposed portion of your hand is between the front band and rear sight when you pick it up by the forward portion of the stock....Every time, causing you to drop the entire rifle on to your foot, glass coffe table, cool refreshing beverage, etc...
Kavan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the three screws on the front band but the top of the stock is under the rear band so that makes it a duffel cut model by your description above.

Hope your foot gets better. Wink
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: foot Reply with quote

It got better, still got a little 'bend' in one of my toes though....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: