Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bomb fuse, perhaps from PH attack?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: fuse Reply with quote

I'd have thought the fuse would shatter like the rest of the body when detonated properly. Sort of defeats the purpose of being a fragmentary device, it if doesn't fragment in to but a few pieces. But again, I don't know anything about ordnance.
Did we decide whether it was a mortar fuse? or a Bomb Fuse?
type-14

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First let say that Marine Corps Base Hawaii (MCBH) Kaneohe Bay is alive a well and has grown even more since the closure of NAS Barbers Point and relocation of units from there to Kaneohe Bay. Was stationed there in the early 80’s and really enjoy it each time I visit there. As for your spent rounds remember that during WWII and afterwards much of the Islands where used as training sites and what better place for a firing range with the mountains as your butts. IMHO more than likely that is what you found an old impact area. As for the fuze I have to agree with you that it looks like it was used for it’s intended purpose. Not sure why it remained intact however since this is the first one I’ve seen in a used condition that may have been the way all of them were and this just became more shrapnel once detonated but that is just my opinion. However, I think it is a great item and know that a number of collectors of Knee Mortars and Japanese ordnance would like in their collections, me included.
Danmaz

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushido, do you have a pic of the very top of that fuse? Mine appears to have another piece that sat on top of the part that your top finger is covering up. It also appears to have two VERY small holes that are on the side directly across from one another but there are no other holes on it. I have no idea if this is a Type 88 or 89 fuse only that a friend of mine who has studied Japanese says that the marking is type 8 or 8-8. There are more Japanese characters around the bottom ring but they appear to be a bit smaller than the one's on your pic. I'll see if I can get my camera to focus in that close.
Type-14 thank you very much for your input. Your ideas make a lot of sense to me. Is there any way that you could tell what caliber of bullet this is if I sent you better pics? I'm guessing there's no real way to tell through pics but I'm just curious. I really feel that the fuse was actually fired and did explode as the top is really mashed perfectly down into the center of the fuse and the bottom threads appear to be mashed up into the bottom cavity of the fuse indicating a massive force from both the top of the fuse & the bottom simultaneously.
Also Type-14, I have VERY fond memories of my father driving me down to the gates of MCBH on friday nights when we lived on Lanakai beach to shake the hands of the guards manning the front gate (1974-1976). I don't recall what uniforms they were wearing but I DEFINITELY remember their white gloves and how in awe I was of them. I have always been grateful for the sacrifices our men and women of the armed forces have made for us and since then I have always had a warm spot in my heart for Marines. Thank you for your service Type-14.
Danmaz

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more pics:

type-14

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. My first tour of duty in Hawaii was with VMFA-235 one of the F-4 squadrons that was stationed there and that was from 1977-1982. As for the markings on your fuze the smaller markings will give the arsenal that it was made at and the month and year it was produced. There is a plunger that goes down though the center and this as a small firing pin on the end. The way the fuze was initiated was for the safety to be removed and the fuze (plunger) struck against a hard object to get the firing chain sequence started. Those holes you see is where the safety pin went though it. The safety pin just a length of wire that is twisted/looped to go though both holes.
Bushido101

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about my finger in the way but the top on this one look's just like yours.
strangms

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Danmaz Reply with quote

Looks like to me that the 2nd picture shows the date which reads, 11 (November) 5, 10 which is 1940. What do you think Trey?

strangms
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: date Reply with quote

That's what it looks like to me. Trey
BB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Type 88 Reply with quote

Yep, a Type 88 Knee Mortar Fuze and it appears to have been impacted.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: history Reply with quote

It is definitely and odd piece of history regardless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: