Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing cleaning rods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwbrel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Missing cleaning rods Reply with quote

Over the years, I have run across a couple of theories (multiple times) as to why the dust covers are missing. I haven't run across any thoughts as to why so many cleaning rods are missing.

Also, does anyone know if the repro rods (and other parts) are somehow marked as repros? If they're not, any thoughts as to how best to mark them if they are used? I'm not opposed to using good repro parts in a restoration if they can be pretty readily identified.

It's been referred to as an addiction. I can live with that.
DonS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I make cleaning rods and other parts for Japanese weapons and other things. All my parts are marked with a prick punch mark and a small "R" to indicate they are reporoductions. If you are interested in my parts list please email me at dfsjpn@aol.com and I will email one to you. Thanks, Don
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: rods Reply with quote

I've always assumed rods, pods, a/a wings, and dust covers were collected as scrap metal drives to be melted down and reused as needed.
As to reproduction parts/items, as long as not represented as original, I don't mind them at all, where else can you find Type 13, 18, or Siamese Type 66 cleaning rods? I happened to luck in to mine out of Canada, others not so lucky! You're average reenactor doesn't really want to go out with a few thousand dollars worth of original equipment for a weekend in the dirt. Don's makes several impossible to find parts and they are really nice. My Dad got me a spring for a Type 97 Scope block, with a little lubrication, it slid right in. We always need some little something, so I keep Don's parts list updated here.
Trey
cwbrel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Missing cleaning rods Reply with quote

It's as good as any other theory I've heard Wink . Ideally, it could actually be verified, as with the dust covers, IF the right document were to show up. I wonder if early battlefield pickups are/were more likely to have their cleaning rods then later ones or occupation bring-backs.

Thanks for the link to Don's list. I'm glad that he's marking his parts. I figure that a good reproduction could certainly work for many of these type things. Again, like you said, as long as it's not passed off as original. If someone objects at sell time, then just sell it without the part.

Don, you can expect to get an email from me in a few weeks - once the weather breaks, and I get a chance to decide what I want to work on first.

Curtis

arisakadogs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 20th series Kokura T-99 that was picked up in Japan at Tachikawa Air Base. It has it's "bring back" paper and I talked to the vet on the phone about it. When he picked it up it was stripped of all it's goodies - the rod, pod, AA wings and dust cover. Kinda supports the scrap drive theory to me, at least that it went on in the home islands.
I had the bringback paper professionally framed and added the sling that's in this photo. I've since removed the sling so it would be as picked up.

gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: looks great Reply with quote

Looks great! There are too many, stone cold, still in the grease mint condition guns with absolutely no goodies and just a grind mark across the receiver...
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Trey, this one just has a couple of wacks on the mum

gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: parts Reply with quote

sorry, didn't finish my train of thought...
Looks great! There are too many, stone cold, still in the grease mint condition guns with absolutely no goodies and just a grind mark across the receiver indicating that the parts were removed without the rifle being issued/used...Which to me leans towards and official removal...Ever tried to get the wings off? And springs?
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey, I think this rifle may well have been issued but never left Japan. There is some slight bruising to the wood where the sling button would have been. It still has one of the AA springs and the other is missing.
cwbrel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So am I right (or at least reasonable) in thinking that these may have been removed during metal drives in mid-late 1944? Seems like this is when cleaning rods stopped being supplied (even the short ones).

By the way, would the short ones really have been of much use other than as stacking rods?

I'm trying to understand the logic of the changes. I understand that the actions against Russia in sands seem to have had a deep impact on the thinking with regard to dust covers - it was very late before grooves were removed (makes sense that these could also be remade and reissued after the war if the grooves were present) but why would provision for a full size cleaning rod be dropped so much earlier?

arisakadogs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short rods could be used with a string and a piece of cloth as a 'drop & pull through' cleaning tool much like the ones for the M-1 Garand
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: rods Reply with quote

Rob has it covered. A lot of this is just theory and supposition. There were squad cleaning kits, and so the necessity for a long rod for each rifle was probably deemed minimal. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: