Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stock Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kavan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Stock Wood Reply with quote

What is most common wood used in the stock of the type 99, and from what area or country was it imported. Did the US import any pre-war wood to Japan? Any change that any early rifles were made with American wood such as Walnut or oak, or pine?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: wood Reply with quote

I can't find the best articles, search gone wonky, again....But here is some old information on Pre-Type 99 Stocks Shannon posted some time back.
Quote:
I don't think the Japanese ever relied on domestic hardwoods as their primary source of stock blanks. Pre-World War Two guns, say before 1930 give or take 5 years, used imported U.S. American Black Walnut as well as other Asian hardwoods. After the embargo against the Japanese (so that would make it 1937, I think) was established they no longer used U.S. woods. They also used a walnut from China, but it was not as hard a Black walnut. As the war progressed and they become more deperate they then used any hardwood they could aquire. I've been told it come from the Phillipines, Korea etc.... I also think (I have no proof) that they used locally procured woods closest to the given Arsenal. For example, Jinsen used Korean hardwoods, Hoten (Mukden) used Chinese woods. Of interest, Nagoya 4th Series has a run of about 20,000-30,000 (10K to 40K serial number range) guns that exhibited a light colored, wide-grained wood. It is very noticable if you compare next to an earlier Nagoya. That a long answer to say, I really don't know for sure. I will look for the article this weekend and if I find it fill in the blanks and correct my mistakes.

Here are some links for more info on finish.
General Discussion Wood
Stock Finish 1
Stock Finish 2

Last edited by gwsiii on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Stock wood Reply with quote

The majority of early wood seems to be Japanese beech, but Japanese documents also mention Judas Tree and Japanese Walnut. As noted some woods were imported particularly from Thailand in 1939/1940.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: