Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Siamese Mauser bayo original grip fasteners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Siamese Mauser bayo original grip fasteners Reply with quote

I am slowly working to update the Siamese Mauser book and have come up with more questions than I can put here, but readers who are bayonet collectors may be able to help with this one.

As originally manufactured, Type 46 bayonets were "in-the-white" (or bright metal or polished metal finish - take you pick). The wood grips are retained by two round fastners. As you can see in the attached photos there are no slots on the surfaces of either side. I have read in various sources that these are "round screws" with "round nuts". That makes a little sense looking at the photos, but how can you screw these down tightly without slots in either the screws or nuts? Plus being round, this seems like a tough thing to do. Maybe I am being dense?????

Most of these bayonets were later refurbished with the grips replaced by typical Japanese flat head screws, with oval washers and oval nuts on the other side. Interestingly, these came from Siamese/Thai Type 66 replacement bayonet production. The Siamese/Thais completely manufacturing replacement bayonets. Anyway, they used these presumably easier to work with grip fasteners on the re-worked Type 46 bayonets. (On re-works of Type 66 bayonets they later used any manner of screws, metal rivets and even aluminium rivets outside the immediate discussion.)

Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
1gewehr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pure speculation, based on my experience in manufacturing.
If it were me setting up production, I would have used round nuts with external grooves to resist turning in the wood grips. I would have then pressed the grips and nuts tightly together while screwing in a length of threaded rod. A quick slice through the rod at either end and the assembly would be complete. A pass on a grinding wheel would polish out any burrs. It would also show the distinctive tool marks you see in your photos.
oopy38

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Non Slotted Screws Reply with quote

Frank, I am not a machinest, but an old gunsmith told me the way the Germans made all the screw slots "stand at attention" was to have a longer screw, tighten it all the way, cut the slot, and file down the head until it was flush. So, maybe the bayonet makers had a screw threaded the entire length, but too long, and when tight enough to hold both nuts tightly in place, filed off and polished flush. Or perhaps the head was extra long and when tightened, filed flat and polished. Just a thought.
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: T46 bayonet fasteners Reply with quote

Dear 1gewehr and oopy38;

Thanks guys. Your explanation this makes perfect sense to me as I look at the grip fasteners. Difficulty removing them is probably why the fasteners were switched out in later rebuilds.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: