Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Might have my first arisaka...but do have questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tplamon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Might have my first arisaka...but do have questions Reply with quote

Quick story... I just recently got back into the sport of shooting and bought my first rifle, a Savage 22-250. Along with this a cascade of events that have me head over heals in research and reading. I was given a full set of reloading equipment 2 days after I told the guy I bought my rifle and more exciting to me is the type 99 arisaka I found in my uncles garage behind his gun case.

Come to find out it is half his and half the guy that gave me the reloading equipment, who I will call Drew. Drew basically told me that no matter what he is going to convince my uncle to allow me to inherit this 99 otherwise it would go to my uncles son who does not take care of anything he owns and has no use for something like this. Since Drew knows that I am a WWII fanatic he knows that I will be the perfect owner for such a fine piece of history.

So, even though it is not mine yet, I am pretty sure it will become mine. Because of this I decided I was going to sneak it over to my place and clean it up and re-introduce them to the rifle they have neglected. No I did not steal no will it cause any problems from doing so, he will be very excited to see someone took care of something he always had plans of doing.

Anyway, Guess I couldn't keep that very short, I am just so excited about this.

What I have found is that it is an Izawa Jyuko with matching serial numbers throughout, except for stock, because I can not find numbers on the stock at all. Serial 4881
The mum is completely intact.
Has the aircraft sights but obviously was not intended for the mono pod since the band does not have the piece to connect it.
bore appears to be of decent condition with no pitting.

Now the questions.

Someone tried to remove the screws that hold the front band in place but obviously failed and tried to drill it out or use a screw remover of some sort and it is now in terrible shape. How on earth can I get this thing out? The other side comes out very easily.

Is it still possible to find screws for this thing? Or just from other collectors that part out a rifle?

How do I tell if the bore is chromed? It seems as though this particular rifle is suppose to have chromed barrel and bolt face but the bolt face looks as though it has bluing on it, though it could just be dirt and grime that I have not tried to clean yet.

The biggest issue is the screw on the front band and the rear trigger guard screw that are messed up. I want to tear this thing down and clean it so badly but I just don't know if it is going to be possible with these screws being messed up.

the trigger mechanism is quite dirty and needs cleaning but if it is impossible to remove these screws I may have not choice but to leave it as is and just clean the parts I can get to.

Also if I do have to drill through the screws is it possible to get a tap to re-thread if needed?

Thanks for reading my overly long post and for the help I am sure I will receive.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a nice one, please fill out a datasheet and send to me when you get a chance, link is in my signature below.

The Type 99 screws were generally staked in, and the screws are pretty soft so they are easily messed up. You'll likely have to have them drilled out. Contact some of the guys listed on parts/restoration services for screws, they'll need to know whether you have a 2, or 3 screw front band and which screws you need if its a 3 screw band. The Trigger guard assembly screws are also staked in and may be impossible to remove without drilling them out. Chrome bore looks like a white/bright ring/outline at the muzzle. If your rifle is a 4th series Izawa it is probably a chrome bore, but a blued bolt face. Good Luck! Trey
tplamon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Trey, thanks for the quick response. Just a couple of minutes ago I was able to drill through the front band screw but have not get it out yet. I think I will have to put one of these spiral screw pullers in there and give it a go.

What do you mean when you say they were staked in?

Every other screw came out pretty easily except for that one on the rear of the front band and the rear screw on the trigger guard. I can't quite see how it would be possible to drill that rear one out, it is at a weird angle and is quite long.

Again, thanks for the help.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: screws Reply with quote

peen marks around the opening, 'staking' the screw head in position.

Riceone is the guy to talk to about getting out boogered screws. Basically you just drill the screw head off, pull it apart and remove the rest of the screw with pliers....Normally, I'm against disassembling for fear of messing up the screws, but if they're that far gone, you might as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: