Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T-44 Butt Plate Traps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: T-44 Butt Plate Traps Reply with quote

I was looking at my three T-44 examples and noticed some difference in the way the rods are stowed. I have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd variation (all I need).
In the 1st variation the storage is a simple arrangment of two holes drilled into the wood and a simple rotating door to trap the rods. They are free to rattle back & forth.
In the 2nd variation the only thing that has really changed is that there is a sheetmetal sleeve in the stock that has a third & shorter pocket for a jag tip. The sleeve is open ended where you can see wood at the inside end.
The 3rd variation is totally different. In the metal sleeve there are two spring loaded buttons at the inside end and there is a U shaped spring that rotates with the door to push the rods slightly into the spring loaded buttons. On this variation the rods are secured with springs at both ends so there is no rattling of the rods when shaken. I'll attach some photos of the 1st & 3rd variation.
Trey, you have a extensive selection of T-44s as I recall. You can probably shed some new light on the evolution of these butt traps.

gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: thursday Reply with quote

I'll try to go through them on Thursday. I've noticed for a long time the stud on flat of the buttplate is pronounced or milled off depending on which variation. I only have 2 sets of rods, one is suspect, so I've never really studied them. Just assumed the variations were as described in MRoJ and The Type 38 and Variations....Trey
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: butts Reply with quote

Its the busy season at work, and with the 'blizzard' I've been busy catching up. This is off of an early one , 0279 showing signs of hard use.

gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: more buttplates Reply with quote

Here are some more.
Left to right:
sei marked 1st variation housing S9938, 1st variation housing 26141 with tse marks and numbers (note additional screw)

1st variation 56870 with tse marks, 2nd variation 63871, 2nd variation 64574

2nd variation 65040, 3rd variation 67788

DEFUC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like that 2 screw version might have not caught on possibly or a re/fit repair...wonder if any others close to that serial have a similar plate/screw set up?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: BUTT Reply with quote

It's off of a beautiful rework with no inspection marks in the stock. It came with rods in the trap as well.
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. Trey, it looks like the U shaped spring was added to the rotating trap door shortly after my 2nd variation #57442 as your examples have it and mine doesn't. Do yours have the springs at the inside end of the sleeve? When you have both the U shaped spring and the springs at the end of the sleeve it eliminates the rod rattle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: