Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type 99 stock not drilled

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buddahaid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Type 99 stock not drilled Reply with quote

New here and looking for some answers. I picked up a T99 that seems complete save for the cleaning rod. Full mum, Nagoya series 7 #20201 with matching numbers and an original dust cover. And, great metal condition. The only item missing to me was the cleaning rod, so I bought a repro and then found the stock was never drilled to hold one. Is that common for pre last resort guns?
I need to refinish it due to someones poor use of varnish on an otherwise near perfect stock. I'm assuming they were never field refinished, but I also assumed they had cleaning rods too. Advise?

Scott
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

Scott, welcome to the forum. Your rifle would use a short screw-in cleaning rod, and would not have had a dust cover. The rifle wouldn't have been refinished in the field. 99s just weren't in the 'field' long enough to need reworking or refinishing, by that point it was easier to just pick another up rather than worry about reworking. See the datasheet link in my signature and fill one out and send to me when you get a chance. If you have any other questions, let me know. I'll be here till I run out of money.....Trey
Buddahaid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply I had no idea there were that many variations of detail! I looked for a barrel receiver number requested at the bottom of the last page and found nothing but an "E" mark not on your datasheet. I also can't make out the final insp. mark or its just different. Good news is the only failed number match is the dust cover you said I shouldn't have anyway.
Any idea of what year this one was made? I was guessing 1943 by the series and s/n. I placed it about 2/3s through total production.

Scott[/img]
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

Scott they dropped the barrel number and assembly number later in production. So no worries. Don't sweat the stuff you can't make out, when it quits being fun, its time to back off. When you aren't sure of something, just note it, and move on. Ask any 5 collectors about production dates twice and you'll likely get between 6 and 10 different answers. Following Shannon Zeigler's research would give you an early 1944 production date, and that is only a well educated guess. Let me know if you have any other questions. Trey
Buddahaid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Datasheets sent via email attachments. Thanks again.

Scott

Edit: I made a donation and saw a different email address listed. The datasheets I sent to gwsiii@msn.com.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: email Reply with quote

Scott, appreciate it very much! I don't do this for profit so every little bit helps!

the gstancil.... is my work email, gwsiii.... is home. I use both email addresses, when I set the button up, I used my work email address, and never got around to changing it. It's still my main email address. If you plan on getting another Arisaka, you should really spend the $50 (around that) for the 'Bible' - Military Rifles of Japan (MRoJ) by Fred Honeycutt Jr and F. Pat Anthony. It was still available, when last I checked, from the author, Fred Honeycutt Jr. His contact information is under the reference section. If you decide to specialize, we can point in the right direction for reference material. Thanks again, and let me know if you need anything else. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: