Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unidentified Siamese Revolver
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Unidentified Siamese Revolver Reply with quote

I realize that this is a bit off topic, but I am hoping that someone can help identify the revolver in the attached photos. It surfaced during the Siamese Mauser research. A collector of Siamese weapons has it. It clearly has a Simese/Thai Army property stamp and assigned number.

Any help would be appreciated.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
oopy38

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Revolver? Reply with quote

It greatly favors the British Webley. What caliber is it?
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: revolver Reply with quote

Aound 10mm.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
DEFUC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warnant revolver ,belgian .455 webley short
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Warnant brothers were, towards half of last century, the arms manufacturers who worked for the account of third people and who produced sporting weapons.

Jean Warnant then started to work on projects of revolvers and improved a locking with double action which was largely adopted by other manufacturers of weapons. From 1870 to 1890, Warnant produced a quantity of revolvers with screwed carcass, largely based on the system of construction of Smith & Wesson contemporaries....

To the beginning of the century, Warnant were dedicated to the automatic guns with many patents and models, but without obtaining much success. Their first attempt to give up the revolver goes up indeed at 1890, date on which they patented (British patent 2543/1890) a gun with repetition “Warnant-Creon” with a breech-block screwed of Martini type and a tubular charger, but probably this weapon was never produced. The first automatic model of gun appeared with British patent 9379/1905 concerning a screwed gun gun which became in fact the Pieper gun, this last having bought the patent....

Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Siamese revolver Reply with quote

The revolver has two inspection marks on the rt side of the frame. These are the capital letter P below a star. The only reference I can find on an inspection stamp like this from its application on French weapons.

Maybe the French made these revolvers also? Can anyone elaborate on this?

Frank
[/img]

(386) 445-4225
DEFUC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im dont know a reference for the crown P proof, but its seen fairly often on Belgian pistols of the period..I belive (for whatever thats worth) its a varient inspection proof P for pistol, possibly related to the powder as the change from BP thru nitro and on to smokeless was in that period also. The crown P proof is pretty common on revolvers often right near/below the "crown-egg" leige proof, whatever it stands for.
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Siamese rev Reply with quote

Dear DEFUC;

Thanks. The inspection stamp actually is a clear capital letter P with a five-pointed star placed over it. I have a list of inspection marks that notes that this is a French inspection mark, but I see it on some Belgian pistols also. Maybe they both used similar inspection / proof marks.

Someone on a Belgian site suggested I look for more Belgian marks on the back of the cylinder. Unfortuneately the revolver is in Alaska and my friend who owns it is not a frequent internet user, so it will have to wait for me to visit my son up there again. On a Belgian site they do picture one of these revolvers with the "crown-egg" stamp on the back of the cylinder.

I'll let you know what I find out later.

Thanks again for your help.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
DEFUC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the last 2 warrants I saw on the auction sites(neither was a japanese contract gun far as i could tell) had belgian proofs (egg) on the cylinder, I think that may be the only proof on the one listed recently.... ILL keep looking and reading too, as my interests currently are directed to late 19th early 20th revolvers and carbines...
roadmouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can help here, being Belgian makes it easy
P with a crown is used between 12-30-1853 till 01-26-1877 (this could be anny letter from A to Z ) and is the personel stamp of the proofmaster.
to make sure its a Belgian proofed gun look for an oval with the letters ELG this stamp stands for epreuve liege.
wish I would know how to post pictures here or I would post all proofmarks there are[/img]
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote

roadmouse, email me the photos, I'll post them. Thanks for helping, Trey
roadmouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey e mail send.
reminds me I need to send you a Arisaka datasheet so 2 e mails inbound.
Alain
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: sheets Reply with quote

Images from roadmouse...Much Thanks....appreciate the datasheets as well, every little bit helps!

Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Revovler Reply with quote

Dear Roadhouse and gwsiii;

Thanks for your thoughts and especially the list of inspection/proof marks. It is a bit better than what I have in my files.

However, the inspection mark in question is the letter P with STAR above it rather than a crown. If you enlarge the photo, you can see it up near to forward part of the receiver and again down near the Siamese markings. Both are turned 90 degrees to the right / parallel to the barrel. I can not find that mark in any reference that I have.

When I look at and photographed the revolver, I did not notice the normal ELG in an oval that would have clued me in that it surely was Belgium. I will travel back to Alaska in June to attend my son's wedding and will get another chance to look this over and photograph it again. I'll be sure to look at the back of the cylinder where I understand the ELG in an oval should be stamped on this revolver. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again for your help.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
roadmouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok P star, yep missed that one, it still is a proof master mark, the letter with CROWN was used from 1853 till 1877 the letter with STAR was used from 01-27-1877 till 02-26-1968
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: