Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking For Gallery Ammo for the Arisaka 99 Long Trainer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
us13doolittle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Looking For Gallery Ammo for the Arisaka 99 Long Trainer Reply with quote

Salute!

Anyone here know of where I might find some newly loaded 6.5 mm gallery ammo for my smooth bore trainer? Someone out there has to make the stuff!!! If not, I bet someone could make some money selling these loads, because there are an aweful lot of these little beauties out there!

Let me know if anyone has any info!

Thanks,

Doolittle
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Gallery Ammo Reply with quote

I've got a few original extra rounds on a stripper (they aren't cheap). Email me if interested. Trey
Smokey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Training rifle loads Reply with quote

I make blanks using Unique powder and a 1.5 inch section of 5/16 wooden dowel. While I use 15 grains of powder, it's in a regular rifle.
You might want to start with 5 grains or less and about 3/4 inch of dowel.
Those training rifles are not particularly strong.
Wear shooting glasses since you might get "blowback" from the cases not expanding enough to seal the breech (not enough pressure).

Incidentially, my blanks are deadly at short range, so handle as you would with regular ammunition.
ronin48

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean by deadly. Some years back we shot some wooden-tip bullets at a piece of cardboard, less than 10-feet away, cardboard unmarked, wood burned in barrel? Your blanks and our wooden tips must be difference in soft and hard wood?
Smokey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Wooden Bullets Reply with quote

A lot depends on the powder charge.
The no-projectile blanks used in pistols will kill someone if the firearm is pressed against the head. (A few candidates for the "Darwin Awards" have proven that). I use the 5/16x36 inch dowels available at the hardware store, cut to 2 inches. 15 grains of Unique makes a good sharp bang for scaring wildlife out of the yard. Sometimes the wooden bullet will travel straight on for 30 yards or more. Sometimes the bullet simply disintegrates.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: blanks Reply with quote

I see an scientific experiment in the makings.....Sure would love to fill some of the crows in the yard up with splinters.....
Smokey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Crow shots Reply with quote

The dowels I use are made from hardwood, maple I think. After I cut them, I round off the ends. With 15gr Unique (in a sound T-99) use ear protection, they are loud enough to cause damage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: