Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chinese Modified Type 99

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deermeat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Chinese Modified Type 99 Reply with quote

I have T99 variation 3 with a short barrel. I'm not sure how to measure the barrel. From the muzzle how far up do you measure? Were they all bored to 8MM? The ser. number is 6th series 1857. Thanks for any info.

Last edited by Deermeat on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: 99 Reply with quote

Normally the barrel is measured with a rod/dowel to the face of a closed bolt, I think. When you say variation 3, to what are you referring?
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Barrel Measurement Reply with quote

Try has it correct. The "approved" BATF method is to close the bolt on an empty chamber, insert a rod, mark the spot at the muzzle, remove and measure. While one can argue to particulars of this method, it is pretty much used universally today.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
Deermeat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gwsiii and Frank for the help. What I meant by variation 3 is some Type 99s were modified at the Mukden arsenal to fire the 7.92mm Mauser round as per this http://www.castle-thunder.com/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=1263 It has a 22 inch barrel. As you can see the bolt handle is broke. Did these guns come with 22 inch barrels? Is the front sight correct. I hope you get all the info you need from the pics. Thanks

[/img]
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Chinese Modified Type 99 Reply with quote

Dear Deermeat (that sounded funny didn't it?):

I have not encountered or had a report of an example with a barrel that short. The normal length for a T-99 barrel is about 25-1/2 inches. Maybe it was damaged and "repaired" in China.

The characters on the barrel step top are: 改七九 – GĂI-QI-JIŪ – “Modified 7 9” .

You don't see many of these around. The bolt can be easily fixed by a good gunsmith if you have another handy to supply the handle.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
Deermeat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Chinese Modified Type 99 Reply with quote

Thanks Frank. Do you have all the info. that you need for your data sheet, if not let me know. How many of these have been reported to you? I can't seem to find any info. on line, do you know any web sites that would have any. Any idea what it is worth and would it be worth having the bolt fixed? And do you know if it had a straight bolt or curved down. Sorry for all my questions.

Again, Thanks for your time and info.
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Chinese T-99 Reply with quote

Dear Deermeat;

I have all of the info that I need for the data sheet. Thank you.

Only FOUR of these rifles have been reported and their info is incomplete. There are probably many more out there somewhere. it is probably well worth fixing. The bolt handle should remain straight.

Have fun with your project gun.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
Deermeat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Chinese Modified Type 99 Reply with quote

Thanks Frank.
ronin48

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of articles on these, one or two, in a late 1980s Banzai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: