Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T-99 "Cutback" Sniper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: T-99 "Cutback" Sniper Reply with quote

Just got this today. It's S/N 7005 & is all matched but the firing pin. If you have my firing pin - please let me know! It does need a little TLC as it appears to have been pretty well neglected for 60 some years and someone really tried (poorly) to take it apart. Anyway, the stock has the proper inspection marks & with a very little work this will be the centerpiece of my Nagoyas.

gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: 99 cutback Reply with quote

Very nice Rob! I've got to get me one of those. Thanks for posting. Trey
deleur

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice rifle... Other pieces in your collection also look very Cool
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good news. The seller contacted me & it seems the cleaning rod has showed up. Also, this rifle was brought into the sellers shop by a VFW member for a (former) Marine buddy of his. I'm hoping to get some background information on it. Would be nice if a scope turned up! Very Happy
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: sniper Reply with quote

Wow, that is great news! We'll keep our fingers crossed. Trey
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well things are developing on this rifle. I picked up the correct type of scope (thanks 03 man!) and I've received some information on the vet that brought it back. According to the seller, the vet was in the 4th Marine Division for the invasion of Saipan & Tinian. He was wounded during the landing at Tinian. He was later reassigned to the 13th Regiment of the 5th Marine division as a replacement machine gunner & was in the battle of Iwo Jima - where he picked up this rifle. He told the seller there was not a scope with it. The seller is presently checking for me to see if I can contact this vet directly. This is very excitong stuff for me because I have absolutely no historical context for any other rifles in my collection. Now, a T-99 sniper from Iwo! Yikes, seems too good to be true - but the pieces are starting to fit. The vet said he wanted to make this into a deer rifle & tried to get it apart but was unsucessful. Thank goodness, there's just some boogered screws & the lower band I need to replace. This is becoming a very special rifle among my Nagoyas. Here's some photos with the new scope.

gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: sniper Reply with quote

Very nice, turning out to be an exceptional rig. Great find. Trey
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, disappointing news on the vet. The seller contacted him & he said he really doesn't want to talk about the war. Can't say I blame him. Anyway, I'm glad to know more about this rifle than I do any other in my collection - even if I can't document it. The seller has been great, doing all this work after the sale was made! I got the boogered screws out yesterday & had to cut off the damaged lower band. I have nice new screws to install & a correct "D" style band on the way. I'll post photos when I'm done.
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, two of the screws were a sumbich! Had to cut the lower band off as the ding in it would have gouged the wood all the way up. Still didn't turn out too bad. I have a nice rubberized sling to put on it this weekend. I'll have to try the heating trick, as it's a little stiff.

The seller is going to show photos of what I did with the rifle to the vet "when he calms" down & see if maybe I can get a bit more information.
deleur

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will be nice if you can get some more info on it.
That's worth more than 10 rifles.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: cutback Reply with quote

That looks like it turned out well. I've used the hair dryer method on slings before, it works pretty well, and I can control the heat better. Trey
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hair dryer is the way to go - worked great!
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: sniper Reply with quote

Excellent! Its a lot less radical than the oven/car method. You can do the same to out of shape r/c holsters, once you get them where a pistol will fit in them again, you have to overpack it with newspaper or it will eventually revert back to form. Thanks for posting. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: