Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Guy with First Arisaka

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
searcher35

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: New Guy with First Arisaka Reply with quote

Hello,
I found this forum while looking for info on Japanese weapons. I purchased my first Arisaka today. Its a Type 99 Series 23, AA sights intact. Not sure if it ever had a pod or dust cover. Just missing a few minor parts and I think I got a pretty good deal. Here are a few photos. http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f222/flyer35/Arisaka/

Rob
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Arisaka Reply with quote

Rob, Welcome to the forum, looks like you have a keeper. It should clean up nicely with a combination of elbow grease and TLC. A word of caution, don't do any sanding or refinishing on the stock or metal. Light use of 0000 steel wool and wd-40 will take care of the surface rust on the metal, nickel wool or bronze wool works a little better and is less abrasive to the remaining finish. I'd spray the metal, let it sit, and repeat a few times before cleaning. You'll be surprised at how it turns out. For the wood, I wouldn't do much more than spray with WD40 and wipe down with an old T-shirt, to get the light crude off, do this a few times until it doesn't feel so gritty. I couldn't confirm your series or serial number, but under the crud, you'll end up with a nice looking rifle. You didn't mention whether or not the bolt, firing pin, and safety matched.

I know you need a cleaning rod, dust cover, and rear sling swivel. If you'll pass along your serial number, we'll know whether it should have a monopod. There are generally impression marks on the wood at the front barrel band that indicate whether a monopod was installed.

Welcome to the addictive world of Japanese Militaria. If you get a chance, please fill out a Type 99 datasheet and send it to me. Thanks for posting, let me know if you have any other questions. Trey Stancil
searcher35

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: New Guy with First Arisaka Reply with quote

Hi Trey,
Thanks for the advice on cleaning it up. The serial number on the rifle is 26009. I looked up the series mark on this site http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html Its definately series 23. Its kinda hard to pick it up with my camera. In the cleaning rod hole it looks like a wooden rod broken off. I'll see if I can get some photos of that today. It has the square release button underneath, but I cant get it to budge. I looked for impression marks from the pod, but didnt see any. She's missing a few minor pieces, but nothing major. I dont think its ever been out of the stock, the front barrel band screws are still staked. The bolt is non matching. I have to replace the bolt body anyway, its broke where the safety notch is. I dont think its a major thing, but dont want to take a chance. Thanks again for the advice. I'm really looking forward learning all I can.

Rob
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: arisaka Reply with quote

Rob, with that early a serial number it would have had a monopod. It is probably a broken off bamboo rod. You might be better off just leaving it like it is. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Trey
searcher35

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: New Guy with First Arisaka Reply with quote

Here's a pic of the broken off rod. Its not very good though. http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f222/flyer35/rod001.jpg

Rob
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: rod Reply with quote

That is probably what it is. I have a 32nd series rifle (Toyo Kogyo) that has a broken off bamboo rod in it, I haven't fooled with trying to get it out, if the screws weren't staked, you could remove the stock and get it out by using the cutouts in the barrel channel, but with just that tip, and screws staked, I would just leave it alone. Trey
searcher35

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: New Guy with First Arisaka Reply with quote

I was wondering what bayonet this rifle would use? I want to get one for it eventually.
Thanks
Rob
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: bayonet Reply with quote

Just any old Type 30 bayonet would do. Probably the most correct would include a blued blade with fullers, and a straight cross-guard. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: