Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arisaka scope
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glock2000

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Arisaka scope Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information on this scope? Found it amongst my Grandfather's old military stuff. I know it goes with the Arisaka rifle. The condition of the scope and case is great! Still retains original rubber eye-piece (though in degraded condition). I have a pic but cannot figure out how to post in this forum. You can see it however at :

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224796

Let me know if you can fill me in on this piece.

thanks
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: scope Reply with quote

I think it is mostly likely scope for a Type 97 Sniper rifle, could also be for a Type 99 Sniper rifle. if you can get a picture of the markings on the top, and any areas with numbers or other markings, I can confirm and supply some more info. Very desirable, I need 2 more, have 3 rifles but have only come across one scope that was affordable. To add pictures click on the 'Add image to post' that appears below the text box when you're keying in a message. Thanks for posting. Trey
Glock2000

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more pics but they came out fuzzy. Will take more.

It's not letting me upload. Question Either try the link below to another forum where I have been able to post the pic or wait till this evening, I'll try from another computer.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224796

Thanks! Smile
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: scope Reply with quote

I'm able to view the pic on the other board, not sure why you can't upload unless the picture is not on the machine that you are at, It won't grap it from the current forum where you have it posted, I saved it to my machine here and uploaded it here.

spaces in file names cause problems, might be that. Very nice piece! Trey
Glock2000

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Wasn't sure you could see the already posted pic. The other pics are on the other comp. I will post this evening. Ones I had originally taken came out blurred (operator error with the digital camera i guess).

Thanks again!
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: scope Reply with quote

I've found a small tripod and good lighting work wonders. Sitting it on a solid surface (table or chair) and using the timer works good too. I bought a $15 tripod at walmart, and use that for most stuff. It helps a good bit. I'm not wise to the ins and outs of photography, but I've found it is better to take a picture at higher resolution, where it will focus easily, then crop it and resize it smaller if need be, than it is to zoom all the way in and try and get it to focus on a smaller area. trey
Glock2000

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey,

Here the pics I took...they look like garbage...I'll take a few more...this is what I have for now...this may help.

jangle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glock2000,

As all Japanese scopes are desirable, yours is no exception. You appear to have a T-99 Kokura 2.5 power scope. The rifle it was issued to is the three digit number on the front of the scope base, above the rotating lever. (Serial #950?, picture is alittle fuzzy). This is close to the high number that has been reported to date. Hopefully, you are planning on keeping this in your family, since you have the history of it. If not, you would have no trouble finding a buyer for your scope and case.
Hope this helps.
jangle
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: scope Reply with quote

jangle cleared it up, it does appear to be a 2.5 power scope for a Type 99 sniper rifle in 7.7 Japanese caliber. Very desirable! If you can get some clearer pics of the markings, please post them, Victor Soto is collecting data on Japanese Sniper Rifles and Scopes, and I'll pass the information along to him. I have a Kokura 99 sniper I'm in the process of restoring in bad need of a scope, its serial # 779 so they aren't all that far off, I'd be interested if you decide to get rid of it. I'm off for a scout camping trip tonight, but will try and post some more information Tomorrow night. Thanks again for posting. Feel free to post or contact me if you need more information. Trey
Glock2000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I'll take more pics tonight. I'll try at a higher level and crop the pics like Trey suggested.

Right now I'm not looking to sell. This is a rare connection to my Granddad. My Dad sent me an email yesterday with a short blurb as why his dad was in Japan and ultimately came across this scope.

My Granddad was an Infantry Officer and spent the war fighting in Europe.

This is what my dad wrote, I thought you might find it interesting:

Very shortly after getting out of the hospital and still in the process of recovering from his severe war wounds he sustained in the European theater (push to the Rohr (sp.) River), he went to Japan as part of the War Crimes Tribunal. He, my Mom, and my oldest sister Kathy (and maybe Sorrel, but I’m not sure) lived there for a short time while the war crimes investigations and trails were going on – my Dad was an investigator and subject matter expert for the U.S. And, oh by the way, it was in Japan that my Mom had to carry that little .25 caliber pistol I have upstairs. Because the Japanese were still very afraid of the Americans and because after losing the war for a short while Japan was kind of a lawless place, it was dangerous. Therefore, to ensure her safety and that of my sister(s), when my Dad wasn’t around, my Mom carried that little pistol with her every where she went.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: scope Reply with quote

Interesting window into a time long past. I would hold on to it as well. We're very lucky to have these 'trinkets' and memories from our ancestors.....Trey
ketoujin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Sniper Scope Reply with quote

Glock2000,
Your rifle scope is a 2.5X telescopic sight made by Tokyo Shibaura Denki - today known as Toshiba - in Kawasaki City near the Japanese capital. The logo reads: "Matsuda" which was Toshiba's brand name for light bulbs and camera equipment it produced before the war. Your sight would have been issued for use with a Type 99 Sniper Rifle. Toshiba's Kawasaki City plant built three serial number blocs of 2.5X scopes and one bloc of 4.0X scopes prior to the end of WWII. Your scope's serial number would place it in the second bloc of 2.5X production which ran from numbers 3624-5434.
Hope this helps.

Best,
Gunnar Abramson
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: scope Reply with quote

Gunnar, thanks for the additional info, I'm still trying to get over camping, again.....Trey
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The $300 offer on the other site cracks me up. It's worth at least 3 times that! Good thing you didn't go for it. That's a very nice scope & case!
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: scope Reply with quote

With friends like that ($300 offer) who needs a barium enema.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: