Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type 38 Trainer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one50

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Type 38 Trainer Reply with quote

I do some research for a local gun auction in town and came across a type 38 trainer. I was wanting all your opinions Smile I don't have a trainer rifle yet and was wanting to add it to my collection. One of the perks of researching guns for the gun aution is I get first look at it. I did fill out a data sheet for Trey or Chip (which you will see once I do the data on my collection) What I'm trying to ask is...whats something like this worth...it is beat up pretty good. The wood is dark metal is dark. Anyone know the history behind these, my "Military rifles from Japan" book doesn't go into great detail about trainers. The SN is kinda low and the w in front of the SN (in every location) intreges me.
And here is the description.

Type 38
SN# w943
Empty Star Variation
Front site A
Front Barrel Band A
Missing cleaning rod
Rear Barrel band A
Rear site slide A
Rear site A
Trigger Guard A with SN#w943
Stock A
Buttplate B
Bolt Release E
Saftey knob C (knob SN# is Diff than Bolt #w943)Saftey Knob seems odd to me like it doesn't belong, not on correct or something)
Bolt head K
Rear sling A
Dust cover groves

Thats about it, did you get that Trey or Chip Very Happy
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Trainer Reply with quote

I'll forward the info to Chip, and have him have a look at it. In general, trainers don't bring a whole lot, but there are some exceptions. Normal price for a complete Trainer with rod is $75 to about $200 for the really nice ones.

The Japanese had an extensive training program throughout the normal education process. Thousands of normal combat rifles were mustered out of service as well, and reissued to schools, reserve units, and veterans organizations for training purposes. In addition, private companies produced additional training rifles to meet the demands of the various local and national programs. Parts from training rifles will seldom interchange. They are one of the most under-appreciated areas of collecting in regards to Japanese militaria. You can build an extensive collection of trainers for very little money. Thanks for helping. Trey
seinen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi:

Thanks for the contribution to my studies. Is this a single-shot trainer or one that's magazine-loaded? Just curious.

At any rate, the so-called "Star" trainers are quite common. If the condition is like that you described, it's probably a parts gun and worth $50 or less. Sorry I couldn't have been more help, but w/o photos, it's a little difficult to be more exacting.

Thanks again!

Chip (seinen)
one50

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip,

Also the floor plate is not Hinged.
It is removable.
Action Type is Magazine.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks for your help on the gun.

I'll have more for you in the near future.

Very Happy
seinen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem....happy to help.

If you see this reply, can you answer one more question for me? Sometimes the serial numbers of these "Star" trainers has a prefix. In your case, there would be a letter or number further to the left of the "W943", up near the receiver barrel junction. Yours may not have a prefix, but I wanted to check in case. Thanks!

C/
one50

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip, there were no other numbers or letters anywhere. Except on the floorplate in front of the front screw. It was the Letter N and of course the SN was in front of the trigger guard. , 943.

Dan Very Happy
seinen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan......I appreciate the new info.

C/
one50

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think the date of manufacture would be on this rifle?

Dan Very Happy
seinen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost impossible to say. Probably mid-late 1930s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: