Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first Type 99

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garandshtr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: My first Type 99 Reply with quote

Well, I finally got enough sun yesterday afternoon to get a tolerable picture of my "entire" Japanese rifle collection. Ha-ha! My first and only (thus far) Japanese rifle. My "overall' picture didn't turn out as expected, so I'll try one of those later, but I thought I would start with these.

Garandshtr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: clearly, I need more practice! Reply with quote

Anyway, that's what I think is Series 23, as best as I can make out.
The mum is "munged" up, though you can still tell what it is. Not completely ground off, in any case.
Garandshtr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: details Reply with quote

Sorry, I left out the best parts. This is an all matching rifle. At least, I think it is. The safety is numbered 108, and the bolt is also, at the root of the handle. The extractor does not seem to have a number. Is that right? I've seen some others where they were numbered on the end. Also, the firing pin is numbered 108, but it's on the side of the tab (sorry, I don't know what else to call it) that sticks out, rather than on the side of the round part. Is that normal? The bayonet lug is also 108, though a little bit rusty up there.
It has a monopod, though it's a bit bent, rather than perfectly straight. The middle band is missing the swivel. Any idea where I might find the correct version of that? It seems to have had a dust cover at one time, judging by the bluing of the receiver, which seems to show some wear there. Which of you has that? Anyway, I'm getting geared up to shoot it, but brass seems as expensive as loaded ammunition, so I'm planning to buy some of Mr. Nambu's shortly.
I'll post a couple more pics, if these aren't too big.
seinen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: clearly, I need more practice! Reply with quote

Garandshtr wrote:
Anyway, that's what I think is Series 23, as best as I can make out.
The mum is "munged" up, though you can still tell what it is. Not completely ground off, in any case.

Yep, it's a 23rd Series.

C/
Garandshtr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: couple more pics Reply with quote

Just for fun.

Garandshtr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one direct me to a replacement swivel?

03man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will probably have to buy a complete band and remove the swive.

Someone here may have a spare, I'm all out.
Mike Rockhill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: details Reply with quote

Garandshtr wrote:
The extractor does not seem to have a number. Is that right?

That is correct, it should not be numbered. Kokura only numbered the extractors for the bulk of the 20th series (thats another story), then stopped for the rest of production. The only marks will be a kokura inspection stamps, in this case 2nd factory, on the back side of the extractor.
Garandshtr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: thanks Mike! Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the extractor. So far, so good!
Any takers on the numbering of the firing pin?
Mike Rockhill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed the fact that you were questioning that. Yes that is also correct and that style of numbering the pin is also specific to kokura arsenal. I know they did it that way on the early rifles, but cannot say for sure when they changed to numbering on the body of the pin like everyone else, probably in the 24th series. I will check to see if I have any info on that change over.
While I am at it I might also add that kokura monopods, for some reason, are quite often found bent up. Not sure if they spec'd a different treatment or grade of metal for the monopod, but in my experience if you see a rifle at a distance and its pod is tweeked 9 out of 10 times its kokura.
I am not sure what to say about the swivel. Your best bet is to replace the entire rear band. the swivel was first fitted to the swivel boss on the side of the band and then a rivet was popped into the boss to prevent the swivel from coming out by traveling too far in either direction.
Garandshtr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Thanks Mike! Reply with quote

Mike Rockhill wrote:

I am not sure what to say about the swivel. Your best bet is to replace the entire rear band. the swivel was first fitted to the swivel boss on the side of the band and then a rivet was popped into the boss to prevent the swivel from coming out by traveling too far in either direction.

Thanks for the input, Mike!
Bummer about the rear band though. I guess I'll have to keep an eye open. Would a correct one would have a mark from inspection on it? I think, remembering from the data sheet, there should be an inspection mark of some sort on that part. I don't think I was able to verify that, since I couldn't make out one. Maybe it's not a big deal anyway. I hadn't even noticed it was missing until I was filling out the data sheet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: