Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Model 38 stock cleaned w/pix's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joej1947

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Model 38 stock cleaned w/pix's Reply with quote

Hi Guys
My Aunt just gave me this rifle it was in her attic for about 60 yrs.
Her brother my Dad had given it to her after the war and as she is in her mid 80's she wanted me to have it. The stock was almost black and it cleaned up real nice.
Thanks Trey for the tip on wd-40 I tried that first and it did work but then I tried rubbing alcohol and that worked even better. The black came right off and here is the result except for the dings the stock looks like new.
This is a no series, s/n 796 8xx Koishikawa arsenal with "B" barrel proof mark. The 1st pix was cleaned on the right side with wd-40 the left side is almost black the other pix's are after using rubbing alcohol.

joej1947

gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

That is the way I like 'em, that is one pretty rifle! From the way you talked, I thought it was a corn cob... Be sure to fill out a Type 38 datasheet for Frank Allan. Thanks for posting the pics! On metal I use 0000 steel wool or nickel wool (big 45 gun cleaning pads) and wd-40. Spray, clean, spray wipe, repeat....Several light cleanings beat one heavy one. The metal will 'sing' under your finger tips once you get all the surface rust and gunk off....Check your stock inspection marks forward of the sling swivel on the butt for an anchor - 700, 800, and 900k ranges had rifles from the Naval contract if I remember right. You get tired of that little jewel you just send her on down to Alabama.... A wise man once said "Only thing wrong with that rifle is that it isn't mine!" Thanks for posting, Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: