Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Japanese Artillery Swords

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Japanese Artillery Swords Reply with quote

Here are two artillery swords, what I consider early (serial number) and what I consider late (no serial number). Anyone got anything to add?

Update:
Dates courtesy of Edokko are: Meiji 20 (1887) on the wooden handled one (left) and Meiji 25 (1892) on the brass handled one (right).

One of the prevailing theories (due to overlap in dates) is that Brass handles were for officers and wooden handles for lesser ranks. From examining these two, I'd suggest that the brass one is in original condition with a Meiji 25 date and other markings lightly stamped, and the wooden handled one is Arsenal reworked and refinished with it's Meiji 20 date and markings re-stamped at time of rework, similar to markings and finish on early Type 26 revolvers that have been reworked (making them much deeper). I've got nothing to base this on other than looking at the two and comparing the obvious features and markings. On a side note, I have seen two other wooden handled artillery swords in similar condition with slightly oversized rubberized canvas frogs like this on them, and similarly not so nicely finished on the metal portions of the grip.

Last edited by gwsiii on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
seinen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once owned a third variant. The blade was unmarked, except for a small kanji character 検 (ken), translating "inspection" or "test." The blade had no serial number. The blade had a wooden handle, like the one shown in your photo.

C/
Bushido101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know a great deal about some japanese swords, but I sure wish I could find one of those. Very Happy
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one is marked Meiji 20 (1887) The other is Meiji 15 (I think)
Nice swords!
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: date Reply with quote

Adogs, thanks, I've been meaning to get back to this and post the dates. Edokko confirmed the dates as Meiji 20 on the wood handled one, and Meiji 25 on the brass handled one. I guess I need one like Seinen had now. Trey
seinen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: date Reply with quote

gwsiii wrote:
I guess I need one like Seinen had now. Trey

Oops......guess you'll have to talk to Ray L. about that one.

C/
Edokko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: date Reply with quote

gwsiii wrote:
Adogs, thanks, I've been meaning to get back to this and post the dates. Edokko confirmed the dates as Meiji 20 on the wood handled one, and Meiji 25 on the brass handled one. I guess I need one like Seinen had now. Trey

Yes, it's an archaic Kanji but that single Kanji 廿 means twenty, and hence 廿五 reads twenty five. Meiji 25.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: sword Reply with quote

Edokko, appreciate the initial translation and update with the explanation of the kanji!

I've since found an un-dated one without a scabbard. I've found a place that might make one. I'll post pictures this weekend. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: