Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Certificate of Private Ownership of Souvenirs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awwtw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Certificate of Private Ownership of Souvenirs Reply with quote

Could someone tell me if these are common in military collections?
My father picked up a T99 on Okinawa at war's end, and had to have the letter to leave the island with it.
I still have the rifle, too. I can post photos later if you'd like.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: capture papers Reply with quote

Awwtw Welcome to the forum. These 'capture' papers don't often survive with the items that they were issued to, so they really add to the overall history and value of the piece. Some contain the actual serial numbers of the weapons souvenired out and are the most desirable. We'd certainly like to see more pictures! Thanks for posting. Trey
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Papers Reply with quote

These are usually termed "bring back papers" by collectors. Indeed they add value and history to the weapon noted. Take very good care of the document and the weapon. Thanks for sharing with us.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one of my rifles has it's "bring back paper". It does have the rifle's S/N on it. I've also talked to the veteran over the phone & know that he picked this 20th series T-99 up at Tachikawa Airbase after the surrender. I had the document mounted in acid free matting & with UV resistant glass to preserve it.

Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogs -

That is a great way to preseve it! Now write up you conversation with the vet, have it signed and notarized, being careful to put the serial number and series on that document. That will complete the documentation.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Frank. I'll have to see if I can get back in touch with him & I'll send him a note with all we talked about & have him sign it. What is cool about this rifle is that it supports the theory of the steel scrap drives that stripped many un-issued or homeland rifles of their "unnecessary" parts. It's missing all the "goodies". He said this rifle is exactly as he found it in a pile of rifles about 3 ft high & about 25 ft long. It was issued, I believe, as there are marks in the wood from the sling stud, but it never left Japan until after the war.
awwtw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogs,

My dad told me that when he picked his rifle from the munitions dump, he kept the best one he could find in the pile. Of the rest, none had bipods, few had slings (most of which were rotted canvas), and he had to take the dust guard from a poor example to put on his.
He also told me that most of the Japanese POW's on Okinawa were 50 year old men, and their equipment and weapons were not the front line stuff. Okinawa was the line of last resort, so all the young men and best equipment were out meeting the enemy. By the time we got to Okinawa, this was all they had left.

Bob
sandsnow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another type of bring back paper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: