Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type 14 firing pin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Venturino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Type 14 firing pin Reply with quote

Hello: I just signed up as a member. Just last weekend I bought a Type 14 with large trigger guard. Today when I tried to fire it for the first time it was discovered that the firing pin is broken.

So I need help. Is Don's Reproduction Parts still in business? I understand he made reproduction firing pins. If not can anyone direct me to a source for a firing pin?

I checked Numrich Arms' website and they list them as out of stock.

Also I understand there are two lengths and I'm not 100% sure what mine needs. It measures 2.284 inches from the rear to where the original pin broke off (where it goes from large diameter to small).

Thanks in advance
Mike Venturino
type-14

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Don is still going strong. Contact him at dfsjpn@aol.com He not only sells great repro pins but he can fix your original one as well. He will need to know the date of your pistol to get the correct one for you. Hope this helps.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: email Reply with quote

Sometimes it takes Don a little while to reply to emails. He will get back with you though. Trey
Mike Venturino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys thanks for the reassurance. I'll be patient, although that's hard with the reloading tools, brass, and bullets right here on the bench! I've never shot a Nambu before.

I'll also get Don to fix the broken pin. By the way, this Type 14 is dated January 1944.
Mike V.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: pin Reply with quote

Mike, I just realized, this the 'big show' weekend, if he went, Don may be out of pocket until after the show. Trey
sandsnow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey

I have a Type 14 with broken firing pin. It is the "pin" which strikes the primer that is broke.

Can he fix this part?

Which is worse for value? A broken pin or a repaired pin.

Thanks

Larry
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: pin Reply with quote

It would be hard to say what's 'better' or 'worse' for value, sentiment could swing either way. The pistol guys can tell you better about about this. I personally, if all the numbers match already on the pistol, would probably leave it like it is, and just get a replacement pin for shooting. I haven't had Don fix a pin, but I expect retipping is probably the easiest thing to fix. Trey
sandsnow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broken tip is my trouble. I have long had the spare pin. I finally bought a box of ammo at a gun show and put a couple mags through it in honor of my dad who had recently passed away. That was back in 1990. He had always wanted to fire itwith me, but we never got around to it.

Just curious on the value. I would never sell it unless there was no one to inherit it. I got a lot of good years before I have to consider that.

Thanks for the response.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: tip Reply with quote

Broken tip shouldn't be a problem, and would be terribly adverse on value if you have the original spare pin. I would definitely get a repro for shooting....Would need particulars on pistol with pics to guestimate from. If you've already told/showed me you'll need to refresh my memory, as a wise man once said "I'm horrible with names and faces, but luckily I have a mind like a steel sieve!" Wink
Garandshtr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Cool! Reply with quote

Mike Venturino, the gun writer, BPCR guy? I know you don't want to be pigeonholed like that, but that's my brain for you. Welcome! Trey (among others) is a wealth of information, and will always reply quickly.

On the other question, of broken or repaired, which would be worse for collector value, I'll say the broken one would detract more. A broken firing pin could still be authentic, as I'm guessing there were several that broke in normal use.

Mark
Mike Venturino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry its taken me so long to get back. There were several illnesses in the interim.

Yes, I am the same Mike Venturino, that writes for gun magazines.

By the way, I got the broken firing pin "re-pinned" and the Nambu Type 14 works 100% now. I'm been shooting it with bullets from RCBS mould and using brass from Huntington Die Specialties (PO Box 991, Oroville, CA 95965). Its quite accurate.

Can anyone post Don's full name and address. I've lost it and I'd like to contact him again or visit his website in order to buy a few other items such as a monopod for my Type 99.

Thanks
Mike V.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Mike, thanks for the update, glad to be of service!
Its Don Schlickman, dfsjpn@aol.com

I've got his current parts list here.
Mike Venturino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that!
MLV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: