Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanlingen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Gun Reply with quote

Things I have inherited from my uncle.
What info can you give me on this ??? Is there any value to this stuff ??? Or just history??? Thanks for your help. Paul.

type-14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Type-99 rifle in 7.7mm. Really need to know the arsenal marks and some clear photos of that area to give you any additional info. Price can run from $150 and up with the bayonet.
vanlingen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Marks Reply with quote

Where do I find that ?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

The marks on the left side of the receiver, before and after the serial number, and the marks on the top of the receiver. See the 2nd page of the Type 99 Datasheet. Fill one out for me when you get a chance. With arsenal, series, and serial number we can pretty much tell you exactly how your rifle was issued. When, however, is open for debate. The bayonet is a Type 30 bayonet, Kokura Hourglass (kokura is stacked cannon balls, is the arsenal mark. The official Arsenal title is Hikari Seiki.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: bolt Reply with quote

It looks to be a transition rifle, 1943-1944, and missing the safety maybe. Can you take a picture of the bolt and back of receiver?
vanlingen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: safty Reply with quote

yes it is missing thats how I got it.
vanlingen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: More Photo Reply with quote

This help ??

gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: nice Reply with quote

That is a 5th series (mark in a circle to left of serial number) Type 99 Short rifle produced by Nagoya arsenal (two fighting fish head to head). The 5th series was the start of the transition period. The monopod was dropped and the monopod rear band was being phased out, the front band went from 3 to 2 screw, cleaning rods went from long (square release) to short (round release) stocks changed a little (drain holes began to be omitted). Neat guns. Looks like yours was stored in cosmoline for almost 70 years. The finish underneath should be really nice. Produced around 1943, early 1944. The wood looks to have original finish, but the safety and possibly firing pin and spring are missing from the back of the bolt. Does the number on the underside of the bolt handle match the last 3 digits of the serial number?
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Bayonet Reply with quote

The bayonet is an early Type 30 bayonet made by Hikari Precision Instruments Co., Ltd. (Hikari Seiki Seisakusho KK) .

It looks like a nice example.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: